Like James Carville, America has been bruised and battered by the Republicans who are running our country and running it into the ground. The Bush administration has squandered a five-trillion-dollar surplus and created a five-trillion-dollar projected deficit. Their tax cut for the rich was supposed to create jobs -- but instead America has lost more than three million of them. This administration was supposed to bring honor and dignity to the White House but instead brought lies, leaks, secrecy, and fear. They promised to make the country stronger and safer but instead they've left us overstretched, isolated, and insecure.
And Carville has had enough.
In Had Enough? the legendary political adviser comes out of his corner swinging, taking on the Bush White House and the Republican leaders in Congress on every front -- from the economy to education to foreign affairs. But he doesn't just attack; he lays out constructive "had enough" solutions for healing the damage done by the Republicans and helping disheartened Democrats get back on their feet. In addition, he offers "Ten Rules for Progressives to Live By" and a new War Room mantra for a new era.
Had Enough? is a rousing handbook for taking back the country, for fighting back the right wing, and for returning the power to the people.
|Publisher:||Simon & Schuster|
|Sold by:||SIMON & SCHUSTER|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
I don't know about you, but I've had enough of the whole damn thing.
- I've had enough of losing elections.
- I've had enough of losing arguments.
- I've had enough of seeing Americans losing their jobs.
- Heck, I've had enough of losing my hair.
- I've had enough of calling some B-rate cowboy my commander in Chief.
- I've had enough of the broken promises, the unnecessary secrecy, and the lying to the American people.
- I've had enough of people saying government doesn't work -- when, for them, it's working like a charm.
- I've had enough of giving millionaires like Dick Cheney and myself tax breaks and giving America's kids a mountain of debt.
- I've had enough of being hated around the world because I'm an American.
- Oh, but my frustration is an equal-opportunity thing.
- I've had enough of Democrats rolling over and thinking that you can appease George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tom DeLay, and that whole gang of Keystone Kops who are running America today.
- I've had enough of seeing our ideas stolen, then bastardized, then used to beat us over the head so hard that we stop thinking straight and what should be cries of outrage become pitiful whimpers.
- I've had enough of people coming up to me on street corners, in hotel lobbies, in airports, and whining to me about how bad things are. Believe me, I know.
- I've had enough of a press too scared and pathetic to ask a follow-up question.
- I've had enough of the blowhards on cable TV, and the self-righteous anger I hear from people whose only accomplishment in life is their ability to turn the dial on an AM radio.
- Tell you what, I've had enough of having enough.
Rest assured, there are a lot of people who are as fed up as you and me. And most of them want to do something about it. But here's the problem: they're just sitting there, taking it. Sure, maybe you throw your shoe at the TV sometimes. But that doesn't accomplish anything, unless you count seeing a tread mark on Bill O'Reilly's face as progress.
It's time to quit stewing, steaming, and taking abuse, and start taking action.
We need to take back our country from the tax-cutting, environment-desecrating, secret-keeping, influence-peddling, warmongering, free-speech-hating, hypocritical right-wing goofballs who are running things today.
We need to say, "Enough is enough." We want our country back, and we intend to get it back.
That's what this book is: it's a guide for taking back Congress, the White House, and America from the people running our country -- and running it into the ditch -- today. And we're not just going to rant, and rave, and criticize. We're going to put forward some fresh new ideas to make progressives stronger, and our country better.
So consider the following pages a constructive outlet for your case of political road rage, and read on.
Copyright © 2003 by James Carville
Table of Contents
Introduction: The Lesson of the Transgender
Part One: "The Common Defence"
1. Homeland Security
2. Military and Foreign Policy
Part Two: "The General Welfare"
3. Deficits Matter, Debts Matter, and They Matter a Lot
4. Tax Cuts: The Big Lie
Part Three: "Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Posterity"
6. Environment and Energy
7. Health Care
Part Four: "Establish Justice"
8. Carville's Campaign Finance Reform Proposal
9. Corporate Governance
10. The Myth of Tort Reform
Part Five: "Insure Domestic Tranquillity"
11. "Those Damn Entitlements"
12. A Note on Lying
13. A Note on the Religious Right and Politics
14. A Note on Friends
15. Conclusion: "To form a more perfect Union"
What People are Saying About This
The one book Mary Matalin should read, or one of two books every liberal should read.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
If there has ever been an American patriot, James Carville is one. This book, as expected, gives one hope and a heartfelt laugh. And after six years of George W. Bush, a heartfelt laugh is a welcome moment in the day of any American who puts his or her country before their political party. I know that most Democrats are disenchanted with their party but trust me, just being disenchanted would be wonderful. Bob Miller, a registered Republican.
James Carville is right on! Now it's time for the Democrats to take action and take back the White House. How can anyone who reads this book back the Republican Party? Had enough? I have and if you read this book and get the facts, I am sure you will too.
I like to keep an open mind. The book is good, but do true Americans really want our country run this way. I for one do not want to live in a Socialist country, we can think for ourselves.
Great game plan. The realities of an unnecessary war (Has the capture of Saddam changed anything?!?) and a jobless recovery ( 'slave-wage' Wal-Mart 'production jobs' in China don't count); and, the destruction of the environment for profiteers will catch up with this Haliburton-run regime. Remember, Bush 'the father' looked good in the polls the December before his defeat to Clinton too. But as Lincoln said, 'you can't fool everyone all of the time'. Carville will look like a genius next Nov. 4th!
But book on politics I've read in a long time . Can't wait for his next work.
James Carville should be the Democratic candidate for president. In his new book, he not only boldly tells it like it is about the the state of America in 2003, he also offers a plan on how to fix what's wrong. Instead of just labeling and calling names like Coulter, O'Reilly, Hannity do in their books, he states his case and offers big solutions. As he did in 1992, James moves beyond labels, and offers the big picture to get us out of the mess that the Republicans are getting us into for the 2nd time in 20 years. The first time was when Ronald Reagan was in the White House. While I refuse to say anything personal about a man who has the problems that Reagan does, he was a disaster for our country. George W. is even worse for this country than anyone before him. Read Carville, Franken, Krugman, Ivans and Friedman and see if you don't agree.
People like the reviewer above, who have clearly not even read the book should not comment on it's content. If you've read it, you would know Carville is as critical of his own party as he is of the Republican party. He is issuing a challenge to the Democratic base to quit complaining and organize a strategy to regain a foothold in the American political power structure. This book is invaluable to those who are looking for a way to rejuvenate the Democratic party and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Carville hits the nail right on the head. One of the best books I've read. The book is well researched and a fast read. I'm recommending it to everyone who thinks!
Another obvious truth revealed by libs, they can't take what they dish out. America has had enough,enough of libeal prapoanda which has led this country to the brink of destruction. I'm glad this book has been writen. It gives us (common sense people) ammunition.