Handbook of Drug Metabolism, Second Edition / Edition 2 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Taylor & Francis
This timely, expanded new edition is the definitive handbook for experienced drug metabolism and pharmaceutical scientists and those new to the field.
Written by internationally renowned authors, it provides integrated, comprehensive coverage of fundamental aspects of drug metabolism and the practical applications that help guide researchers through key challenges in modern drug discovery and development.
The Second Edition covers the many recent scientific and technical advances in the field, and is organized in four sections – ideal for use in undergraduate and graduate programs in Drug Metabolism and Clinical Pharmacology:
- fundamental aspects of drug metabolism
- factors that affect drug metabolism
- new enabling technologies to study drug metabolism
- applications of metabolism studies in drug development and drug discovery
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to History of Drug Metabolism. 2. Morphofunctional Aspects of the Hepatic Architecture: Functional and Subcellular Correlates. 3. The Cytochrome P450 Oxidative System. 4. Transformation Enzymes: Oxidative; Non-P450. 5. Transformation Reactions: Glucuronidation. 6. Pharmacokinetics of Drug Metabolites. 7. Oxidative Metabolic Bioactivation of Xenobiotics. 8. Pharmacogenetics. 9. Inhibition of Drug Metabolizing Enzymes: Molecular and Biochemical Aspects. 10. Sites of Extra Hepatic Metabolism part I: Lung. 11. Sites of Extra Hepatic Metabolism part II: Gut. 12. Sites of Extra Hepatic Metabolism part III: Kidney. 13. Sites of Extra Hepatic metabolism part IV: Brain. 14. Drug Metabolizing Enzymes / Transporters Interplay. 15. Applications of Heterologous Expressed and Purified Human Drug-Metabolizing Enzymes: An Industrial Perspective. 16. In Vitro Metabolism: Subcellular Fractions. 17. In Vitro Metabolism: Hepatocytes. 18. The Isolated Perfused Liver as a Tool in Drug Metabolism Studies. 19. The Role of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Drug Metabolism. 20. Induction Studies Drug Metabolizing Enzymes. 21. Experimental Characterization of Mechanism Based Inhibition. 22. Computational Metabolism Studies in Drug Discovery
LC/MS analysis in Drug Metabolism Studies. 23. Drug Metabolism/Drug Interaction. 24. Studies in the Drug Development Process: Studies In Vitro. 25. Clinical Drug Metabolism Studies. 26. Covalent Protein Binding in Drug Discovery. 27. Metabolites in Safety Testing Special Considerations. 28. LM Disposition and PK. 29. Transgenic Animals to Study Drug Metabolism. 30. Ontogeny of Drug Metabolizing Enzymes / Pediatric Exclusivity. 31. Animal Models to Understand Metabolism and Disposition Issues.