Happiness is currently a central focus for research in the social sciences. Using data from the European Social Survey the researchers analyse the relation between happiness and social policy across Europe.
The expert contributors demonstrate that research on happiness can inform welfare choices and policies and help promote job creation, social inclusion and to some degree, a higher level of equality. They highlight that whilst differences do exist amongst the countries studied, social policy has a role in increasing happiness throughout Europe. The interdisciplinary approach and geographical coverage greatly enhance our understanding of this critical relationship between happiness and social outcomes.
Happiness and Social Policy in Europe uniquely embraces the relationship between happiness, social policy and welfare state analysis. This enlightening work will strongly appeal to postgraduate students of social policy, sociology, economics and psychology. Researchers with an interest in comparative analysis, welfare states and happiness will also find this book invaluable.
|Publisher:||Elgar, Edward Publishing, Inc.|
|Product dimensions:||6.30(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Edited by Bent Greve, Professor of Welfare State Analysis, Department of Society and Business, Roskilde University, Denmark
Table of Contents
2. Life Satisfaction and Happiness in the Czech Republic
TomáŠ Sirovátka and Steven Saxonberg
3. Happiness and the Welfare State in Slovakia
4. Happiness in a Small Country: Luxembourg
5. Subjective Well-being in Germany: Evolutions, Determinants and Policy Implications
Heinz-Herbert Noll and Stefan Weick
6. Happiness in the United Kingdom
7. Happiness and Socio-economic Transformations in the Russian Federation
8. Happiness in the Extensive Welfare State: Sweden in a Comparative European Perspective
9. Happiness and Social Policy in Denmark
10. Welfare and Happiness in Italy
11. Income Inequality and Happiness in 119 Nations: In Search for an Optimum that Does Not Appear to Exist
Maarten Berg and Ruut Veenhoven