Hate Crimes: Causes, Controls, and Controversies / Edition 3 available in Paperback
A multidisciplinary approach—broad in scope and scholarly in content
Important questions are being raised in the media about hate crime legislation, and controversial stories and examples of recent hate crimes are prominent in the press. This dynamic, comprehensive text provides a multidisciplinary approach to the fascinating topic of hate crimes; drawing on recent developments, issues, and current research; and examining the impact of these crimes on different communities and individuals. Students delve into the range of issues that foster hate crimes while learning how these criminal acts impact them, as well as their communities.
New and proven features
- *New* Updated cases, statutes, statistics, and references to current events (including homelessness, hate crime laws, and immigrants as targets of hate) make the book’s content both timely and relevant.
- Broad coverage includes the many facets of hate crimes and incorporates the most recent legal developments and the most current social research, as well as recent events of interest to students.
- A multidisciplinary approach makes the book useful for a variety of courses in different disciplines.
- Special interest boxes focus on riveting, student-relevant topics such as hate on campus, examples of some state hate crime laws, some "Classics" of extremist literature, and how to start your own anti-hate campaign.
- “Narrative Portraits,” many commissioned specifically for this text and several new to this edition, offer a personalized account of both victims and perpetrators of hate crimes, as well as individuals who are active in the fight against [b1] hate crimes.
- *New* Additional photos and new links to online video clips provide powerful visual learning for students.
- A new appendix includes a list of recommended films that reinforce key concepts and themes.
- Extensive end-of-chapter pedagogy includes chapter conclusions, discussion questions, and Internet exercises (many of which have been updated) to help students master the material.
This book is designed to spark discussion in undergraduate and graduate courses such as Hate Crimes; Victimology; Violence; and Race, Ethnicity, and Gender in departments of criminology, criminal justice, and sociology.
|Edition description:||Third Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 1.25(h) x 9.00(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsPrefaceSecond Edition PrefaceThird Edition PrefaceFourth Edition PrefaceAcknowledgments1. The Whys and Hows of Hate Crime Laws Overview of This Book Goals of This Book Punishing Hate Before Hate Crime Laws Arguments for Having Hate Crime Laws The Birth of Hate Crimes Hate Crime Laws Today Hate Speech Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings2. The Hate Debate: Constitutional and Policy Problems Hate Crime Laws and the Constitution Which Groups Should Be Protected? Identifying and Prosecuting Hate Crimes Paradoxical Effects of Hate Crime Laws Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings3. Committing Hate: Who and Why The Offender Profile The Psychology of Prejudice What Makes a Bigot? Bullying Hate Crime and Terrorism Why Do People Join Organized Hate Groups? Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings4. Organized Hate What Is a Hate Group? Hate Group Typologies Major American Hate Groups Hate Group Ideologies Hate Group Recruitment and Defection Hate Group Activities Women in Organized Hate Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings5. Hate Crime Victims Problems in Identifying Hate Crime Victims Official Hate Crime Data Advocacy Group Data Hate Crimes Against African Americans Anti-Semitic Hate Crimes Hate Crimes Against LGBT People Anti-Muslim Hate Crimes Other Victims Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings6. Fighting Hate The Psychology of Reducing Prejudice Antihate Groups Government Initiatives for Fighting Hate Other Antihate Approaches Dealing With Hate Crime Offenders Assessing Efforts to Fight Hate Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings7. Global Hate: International Problems and Solutions Distinguishing Hate Crimes From Other Events The Narrow Study of Global Hate The Rise of Nationalism and the Radical Right Five Countries’ Approaches to Hate Crimes A Global Hate Network Policing Hate Across Borders Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet Exercises Suggested Readings8. The Future of Hate New Research Better Data Collection Law Enforcement Responses Legislation Globalized Hate Fighting Hate Conclusion Discussion Questions Internet ExercisesAppendix A: Selected International Hate Crime LawsAppendix B: Selected Resources on Hate CrimesAppendix C: Film SuggestionsReferencesIndexAbout the Author