As a companion product to Joanna Weaver's best-selling book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, this ten-week video Bible study gives women the tools they need to blend intimacy with Jesus and service for Him in the midst of our busy lives.
Moving chapter by chapter through Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna shares fresh insights each week concerning lessons learned from the story of Mary and Martha. Packed with helpful tools for building a relationship with God, the companion study guide gives participants a chance to reflect on what they've read in the book as well as what they've learned in their study of God's Word.
Come discover what Jesus meant by the "better part" as you strengthen your relationship with the God who invites you closer.
· In-depth Bible study: Includes ten 20-22 minute video sessions.
· Bonus Session and "Word Time" tools for a deeper walk with God.
· Optional eleven or twelve-week format.
· Downloadable Leader's and Retreat Guide, plus promotional material.
· Can be used by individuals or groups.
Designed for individuals and groups. To get the most out of the study, each participant will need a copy of the book and the study guide.
|Publisher:||The Crown Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 1.00(d)|
About the Author
Joanna Weaver is the author of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, which has sold nearly one million copies. Her other bestselling books include Having a Mary Spirit, Lazarus Awakening, At the Feet of Jesus, and the award-winning gift book With This Ring. Joanna and her pastor husband, John, have three children.
Read an Excerpt
Week 1: Introduction
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.
Luke 10 :38–39
Having a Mary heart in a Martha world?
Is it really possible? More than ever, I am convinced it is. Jesus wants to meet with you as surely as He met with Mary and Martha that long-ago day in Bethany. He wants to reveal Himself to you, filling you with His presence and His love so that His grace spills through you to a dry and thirsty world.
Though our initial introduction to Mary and Martha is only four verses long, I believe this brief story has the power to literally change our lives. So let’s begin! As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38–42)
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
1. Before we begin this study, what preconceived ideas do you have about Mary and Martha? Which woman do you relate to most—Mary or Martha? Explain your answer.
2. One woman told me, “My life is like a blender—and it’s stuck on frappe!” What inanimate object best describes how your life currently feels, and why?
3. Read Matthew 11:28. What do Jesus’ words mean to you?
Session One Video
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
Revelation 3:20, nkjv
The Story of Mary and Martha—the Story of You and Me, Luke 10:38–42
The Living Room Intimacy __________ God that we long for will never be found in Kitchen Service __________ God.
Discovering the Better Part
1. Martha opened her home (Luke 10:38).
• preparations—diakonia —____________________
2. Mary opened her heart (Luke 10:39).
• She made ____________ for time with Jesus.
• She did the _______________________.
• She ___________________ to Jesus.
The same invitation Jesus made to Martha is the invitation He makes to us:
“Come spend time with Me.… Allow My __________ to fill your life so that I can spill you to the world!”
I sense the Lord saying…
Make a Plan
God desires to transform you by the power of His Word. He wants to speak specific things to your heart over the next several weeks. What one thing could you do to get the most out of this study?
This Week’s A ssignment
• Follow through with your week 1 “Make a Plan” homework.
• Read chapters 1 and 2 in Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.
• Answer week 2 study questions.
• Memorize Matthew 11:28: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I absolutely LOVED this study so much myself that I decided to host a Womans retreat to reinstate its truths! Making time for Jesus is ALL that matters. What is the priority in my life? He doesn't look at our lists of accomplishments and checklists, He looks at our heart. Are you making room for Him daily? Slow down and find Rest in Him. The only one that can provide true Peace in the midst of a busy and crazy world. God never allows us to carry our burdens alone but walks with us, hand in hand!!! We ALL grew in a desire to put Him first. Its our choice, what/who are we going to allow to fill in the number one place in our lives? Definitely a keepsake on my shelf b/c its one that can be read and read again!