North Carolina's 1.2 million acres of national forestland are some of our state's most distinctive and botanically diverse areas. Veteran nature writer Johnny Molloy welcomes you to enjoy these beautiful and often surprising wild areas, guiding you safely there and back again. Molloy renders the sometimes primitive trails accessible to both beginner and more intrepid hikers, from families with small children to dedicated wilderness wanderers. Spotlighting the best hikes in all four of North Carolina's national forestsNantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie, and Croatan, ranging from the mountains to the coastthis book includes some of the state's most heralded destinations and invites you to explore many lesser-known gems.
* A hike summary, including distance, time, and difficulty of each trip
* Detailed instructions to keep you on the trail
* GPS coordinates of every trailhead, a narrative of the hike, and can't-miss features
* A cultural and natural history of each area
* Best seasons to go
* Fees and permits, as well as contact information for each area
* Photos and maps to orient you
|Publisher:||The University of North Carolina Press|
|Series:||Southern Gateways Guides Series|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Johnny Molloy is an outdoor writer and author of over 50 books. He is based in Johnson City, Tennessee.