New settlements require proper resting places for their dead. Around 1763, British troops officially gained control of Baton Rouge and established a small fort on the Mississippi River there. However, since 1719, soldiers and white explorers had been buried near Native American mounds. Baton Rouge citizens were buried in the military cemetery near the fort, which accommodated Protestants; on private property; in Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Cemetery, opened in 1792; and in Highland Cemetery, so named in 1819. These downtown cemeteries had overflowed by 1850. A municipal, nondenominational cemetery was critically needed. Land on the eastern edge of town, dotted with magnolia trees, was purchased by the government, and Magnolia Cemetery easily became its name. Families of all races, religious affiliations, and economic status rest in Magnolia. Confederate and Union soldiers died there on August 5, 1862, and some became permanent residents. Historic Magnolia Cemetery's subterranean graves are accentuated by plain or elaborate headstones or simple footstones, sarcophagi, and numerous statues.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Chip Landry is the chairman of the Board of Trustees of Historic Magnolia Cemetery and the sexton of Historic St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery. Faye Phillips, named professor emerita upon retirement from Louisiana State University Libraries, is currently a library consultant.
Table of Contents
1 The Nameless One 9
2 A Good Life Hath But Few Days 31
3 Further Development of God's Kingdom 53
4 A Scholar, a Gentleman, and a Friend 69
5 Our Darling Baby 83
6 He Loved God and His Fellowman 101
7 Blessed Are the Pure in Heart 113