James C. "Andy" Anderson has been a Louisville resident since 1948 and received a B.A. degree from the University of Louisville in 1967. After working as a clerk in the Parkland and Highland branches of the Louisville Free Public Library, he moved to Lexington, Kentucky, and received a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of Kentucky in 1970.
He was later hired as an assistant to the curator of the Photographic Archives at the University of Louisville, and was appointed head curator in 1973. He now holds the rank of Professor in the University Libraries faculty, and manages a collection of over 1.5 million photographs. He has written two other books and has been a frequent lecturer and consultant on the maintenance and care of photographic collections.
Andy is married, having met his wife on a bicycle tour of Louisville in 1976. They have one grown son, two shetland sheepdogs, and a cat.