- A Somerset Rhapsody, for orchestra, Op. 21/2, H. 87
- Beni Mora, oriental suite for orchestra, Op. 29/1, H. 107
- Invocation, for cello & orchestra, Op.19/2, H. 75
- A Fugal Overture, for orchestra, Op. 40/1, H. 151
- Egdon Heath (Homage to Hardy), for orchestra, Op. 47, H. 172
- Hammersmith, prelude & scherzo for military band (also version for orchestra), Op. 52, H. 178
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Holst: Orchestral Works based on 0 ratings. 1 reviews.
For those just discovering Classical music, most will be familiar with Holst's masterpiece, The Planets, but not with his other works. This CD is an excellent starting point: David Lloyd-Jones leads the Royal Scottish National Orchestra through no-nonsense readings of these pieces, the playing is never over-emotional, with the exception of Tim Hughs' beautiful cello performance on "Invocation" & an outstanding "Egdon Heath", nor is it uninspired. Just good, solid performances from all. Couple this with excellent sound quality & budget price from Naxos & you really can't go wrong with this collection.