Homage - The Age of the Divaby Renée Fleming
If the distinction between a diva and an ordinary opera star isn't obvious to you, then you've probably never been in the presence of a true diva -- larger than life, endowed with glamour, personal magnetism, and goddess-like authority. If Renée Fleming is too down-to-earth in her offstage hours to bother emulating the mannered poses of divas past, in performance she does have the gift of making the world revolve around her voice. That connection is enough to make this Homage to the divas of a century ago -- Maria Jeritza, Mary Garden, Emmy Destin, to name a few -- one of the most enthralling records Fleming has made. Featuring highlights from 12 operas, many of which were among the celebrated successes of those Golden Age singers, Homage concentrates on little-known gems, from the unabashedly sensuous "Ich ging zu ihm" from Korngold's Die Wunder der Heliane to the fierce heroism of Smetana's Dalibor. For a real rarity, there's "Tsvetï moi" from Rimsky-Korsakov's long-forgotten Servilia, a Russian aria brimming with Italian-style passion. If Tosca's "Vissi d'arte" seems overly familiar among this company, remember that it's the quintessential diva moment -- the desperate plea of a singer who "lives for art" -- and especially given Fleming's eloquent shaping of the aria's long melodic line, it's a perfect fit here. But best of all is the long solo scene from Act II of Janácek's Jenufa; it's the one role featured here that Fleming has performed onstage, and the experience shows in the immense sensitivity of her portrayal, as well as the great beauty of her singing. That latter quality -- need it even be mentioned? -- is a constant source of pleasure on this disc, which proves beyond all doubt that divas worthy of the name still do walk among us.
- Release Date:
- Adriana Lecouvreur, opera: Poveri fiori
- Dalibor, opera, JB 1:101: Dobrá! Já mu je dám! ... Jak je mi?
- The Oprichnik, opera: Pochudilis mne budto golosa
- Tosca, opera: Vissi d'arte
- Das Wunder der Heliane, opera, Op 20: Ich ging zu ihm
- Mireille, opera: Le ciel rayonne, l'oiseau chante ... Ô légère hiro
- Die Liebe der Danae, opera, Op. 83 (TrV 278): Orchesterzwischenspiel
- Die Liebe der Danae, opera, Op. 83 (TrV 278): Wie umgibst du mich mit Frieden
- Serviliya (Servilla), opera in 5 acts: Tsvetï moi!
- Il Trovatore, opera: Tacea la notte ... Di tale amor
- Cléopâtre, opera in 4 acts: J'ai versé le poison dans cette coupe d'or
- Jenufa, opera, JW 1/4: Mamicko, mám tezkou hlavu
- Jenufa, opera, JW 1/4: Kdo to je? - Jenufko, ty jsi jeste vzuru?
- Die Kathrin, opera, Op. 28: Ich soll ihn niemals, niemals mehr sehn
Performance CreditsRenée Fleming Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews