The first text to explore the history, characteristics, and challenges of hospice social work, this volume weaves leading research into an underlying framework for practice and care. A longtime practitioner, Dona J. Reese describes the hospice social work role in assessment and intervention with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and the community, while honestly confronting the personal and professional difficulties of such life-changing work. She introduces a well-tested model of psychosocial and spiritual variables that predict hospice client outcomes, and she advances a social work assessment tool to document their occurrence. Operating at the center of national leaders' coordinated efforts to develop and advance professional organizations and guidelines for end-of-life care, Reese reaches out with support and practice information, helping social workers understand their significance in treating the whole person, contributing to the cultural competence of hospice settings, and claiming a definitive place within the hospice team.
About the Author
Dona J. Reese is an associate professor at the School of Social Work, Southern Illinois University. She is a former hospice social worker and former Social Worker Section Leader for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, and she has worked with colleagues to advance the field through the National Hospice Social Work Survey and the Social Work Assessment Tool (SWAT).
Table of Contents
1. End-of-Life Care in the United States
2. Current Status of Social Work in Hospice
3. A Model for Psychosocial and Spiritual Care in Hospice
4. Hospice Social Work Practice on the Micro Level
5. Mezzo Context of Hospice Social Work: Work with Families
6. Macro Context of Hospice Social Work: Organization
7. Cultural Competence in Hospice
8. Personal Preparation and Social Worker Self-Care
9. Future Challenges in the Field of Hospice Social Work: Looking Ahead
Appendix A. Social Work Assessment Tool
Appendix B. National Association of Social Workers
Appendix C. Team Functioning Scale