Hospitality Employee Management and Supervision: Concepts and Practical Applications / Edition 1 available in Paperback
A practical resource for managers and supervisors in hospitality businesses
In many hospitality establishments, one manager or supervisor is the entire human resources department, making all the hiring and training decisions, often without having a formal human resources background. Filling this knowledge gap, Hospitality Employee Management and Supervision provides both busy professionals and students with a one-stop comprehensive guide to human resources in the hospitality industry.
Rather than taking a theoretical approach, this text provides a hands-on, practical, and applications-based approach. The coverage is divided into four sections: legal considerations, employee selection, employee orientation and training, and communication and motivation.
Each chapter in this lively and engaging text features:
- QuotationsVarious practitioners in the hospitality industry highlight the chapter's focus
- Chapter Objectives and Summaries lay out key concepts and then, at the end of each chapter, review them
- HRM in Action features highlight real-world HRM experiences that relate to the content presented in each chapter
- Tales from the FieldHospitality employees provide accounts of the various challenges they face in the industry
- Ethical DilemmasScenarios from the hospitality industry which emphasize the role ethics plays in every aspect of the hospitality industry
- Practice Quizzes and Chapter Review Questions reinforce student comprehension of key concepts
- Hands-On HRMMini-cases based on real-world situations with discussion questions
- Chapter Key TermsBolded within the chapter and then listed at the end of each chapter with definitions
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.70(d)|
Table of Contents
UNIT 1: THE LEGAL LANDSCAPE.
Chapter 1. Introduction to Hiring and Supervising Employees.
Chapter 2. The Hospitality Manager's Legal Challenges.
Chapter 3. Wage and Hour Laws Affecting Salaried, Hourly, and Tipped Employees.
Chapter 4. Common Law, Negligent Hiring, and Employee Rights.
Chapter 5. Working With Unions.
UNIT 2: THE EMPLOYEE SELECTION PROCESS.
Chapter 6. Job Descriptions and Job Specifications.
Chapter 7. The Employee Handbook.
Chapter 8. Advertising and Recruiting.
Chapter 9. Applications, Interviews, and Background Checks.
UNIT 3: ORIENTATION AND TRAINING.
Chapter 10. New-Employee Orientation.
Chapter 11. Training to Performance Standards.
UNIT 4: COMMUNICATION AND MOTIVATION.
Chapter 12. Performance Appraisals That Work.
Chapter 13. Effective Communication and Feedback.
Chapter 14. Employee Discipline.
Chapter 15. Employee Motivation Through Quality Leadership.