Have the courage and curiosity to face the inner changes of agingand learn how they can help you find meaning in your later years.
"I used to think that age sixty-five was the start of a slippery downward slope to the cemetery. But inside, I felt a surge of enormous energy, with the potential to approach aging as an uncharted adventure instead of a prison sentence."from the Introduction
Unlike other authors, spiritual director Linda Douty discusses the challenges and surprises of aging by talking about how you actually feel, not what you're supposed to feel. In a warm, down-to-earth voice, she offers a spiritually grounded method to adjust to the unexpected as you grow older. There is no one-size-fits-all here, but a variety of responses to the inner and outer transformations of aging and new ways of looking at them. She looks at surprises, welcome and unwelcome, concerning:• Self-image • The physical body • Relationships • Spiritual life
Questions for reflecting on who you are in this period of your lifeor who you would like to bewill help you live each day more purposefully and joyfully.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Linda Douty, a leading speaker on the topics of meaningful aging, personal growth and spiritual formation, is author of How Can I Let Go If I Don't Know I'm Holding On? and How Can I See the Light When It's So Dark? She is a spiritual director, a contributor to Presence (the journal of Spiritual Directors International) and a dynamic retreat leader. She is on the faculty at the Academy for Spiritual Formation.
Table of Contents
Introduction i x
1. Opening to Surprise 1Two Doors 1Don't Believe Everything You Hear 4Changing Your Script 13
2. Surprises of the Sel f 25I'm Still Me! 28Your Orphaned Creative Child 35The Vanishing Social Filter 39Buried Dreams 43
3. Surprises of the Body 47Who Is That in the Mirror? 49Listening to the Body’s Wisdom 52Coping with Pain and Illness 56Libido and Longevity 61Are Limitations Limiting You? 64
4. Surprises in Relationships 71Friends Who Feed Your Soul 72Renegotiating Partnerships 77Adult Children: To Speak or Not to Speak 81Honoring Memories 85Beyond the Front Door 88
5. Surprises of the Sacred 93God and Me 94Rethinking Prayer 98Heaven, Hell, or Something Else 101Hearing the Spirit’s Guidance 103Motives and Methods 107Trusting the Mystery 110
6. Surprising Challenges 113Learning to Fly Solo 114Setting Boundaries 118Tying Your Shoes and Giving Up the Car 121Sleeping Dilemmas 123Fear and Faith 125Fallacies of Forgiveness 129Accepting the Life You’ve Lived 131
7. Surprising Gifts 137Being Real 137The Healing Power of Play 140Gratitude Is More Than a Thank-You Note 143Delight in the Details 148Time: Friend or Foe? 151The Many Faces of Freedom 154
8. Surprising Wisdom 157Living through Loss 158Say It Now and Do It Now 161Clearing the Clutter 162As Simple as a Smile 165Learn to Receive 167Fan the Brightest Flame 170One Who Never Leaves You 174
Epilogue 177Acknowledgments 178Notes 179Suggestions for Further Reading 182