Now includes Worked Examples for lectutrers in a companion pdf!
The fourth edition of this volume presents design principles and practical guidance for key hydraulic structures. Fully revised and updated, this new edition contains enhanced texts and sections on:
- environmental issues and the World Commission on Dams
- partially saturated soils, small amenity dams, tailing dams, upstream dam face protection and the rehabilitation of embankment dams
- RCC dams and the upgrading of masonry and concrete dams
- flow over stepped spillways and scour in plunge pools
- cavitation, aeration and vibration of gates
- risk analysis and contingency planning in dam safety
- small hydroelectric power development and tidal and wave power
- wave statistics, pipeline stability, wave–structure interaction and coastal modelling
- computational models in hydraulic engineering.
The book's key topics are explored in two parts - dam engineering and other hydraulic structures – and the text concludes with a chapter on models in hydraulic engineering. Worked numerical examples supplement the main text and extensive lists of references conclude each chapter.
Hydraulic Structures provides advanced students with a solid foundation in the subject and is a useful reference source for researchers, designers and other professionals.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||6.20(w) x 9.20(h) x 1.80(d)|
About the Author
Professor Pavel Novak is Emeritus Professor and former Head of the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Professor Iain Moffat is Professorial Fellow in Dam Engineering in the School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
The late Dr Chandramouli Nalluri was formerly Reader in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Dr Rangaswami Narayanan is former Reader in the Department of Civil Engineering at UMIST/University of Manchester, UK
Table of Contents
Part One: Dam Engineering 1. Elements of Dam Engineering 2. Embankment Dam Engineering 3. Concrete Dam Engineering 4. Dam Outlet Works 5. Energy Dissipation 6. Gates and Valves 7. Dam Safety Part Two: Other Hydraulic Structures 8. River Engineering 9. Diversion Works 10. Cross-Drainage and Drop Structures 11. Inland Waterways 12. Hydroelectric Power Development 13. Pumping Stations 14. Waves and Offshore Engineering 15. Coastal Engineering 16. Models in Hydraulic Engineering
What People are Saying About This
'An excellent presentation of the most common hydraulic structures… this book is a natural enhancement of the previous successful edition. It will definitely add to the current literature, with significant advantage for students and professionals in the field of hydraulic engineering.' - C. Gisonni, Journal of Hydraulic Research