Storage reservoirs represent one of the most effective tools for eliminating, or at least for minimizing, discrepancies in the time and space variations of water resources distribution and requirements. In fact, the different - often contradictory - and increasing demands on water resources utilization and control usually can be fulfilled only by building multi-purpose reservoir systems. In this way, the available water resources can be exploited and/or managed in a more rational way. Typically, the construction of a dam across a river valley causes water to accumulate in a reservoir behind the dam; the volume of water accumulated in the reservoir will depend, in part, on the dimensions of the dam. The size of the dam will normally affect the capital expenditure in a very significant way. Indeed the construction of large water resource control systems - such as dams - generally involves rather huge manpower and material outlays. Consequently, the elaboration of effectual methods of approach that can be used in establishing the optimal reservoir parameters is of great practical significance. For instance, in the design and operation oflarge multi-reservoir systems, simple simulation and/or optimization models that can identify potentially cost effective and efficient system design are highly desirable. But it should be recognized that the problem of finding optimal capacities for multi-reservoir systems often becomes computationally complex because of the large number of feasible configurations that usually need to be analyzed.
Table of ContentsDedication. Preface.
2. The Hydrology of Flow Regulation.
3. Planning for Dams and Reservoirs: Hydrologic Design Elements and Operational Characteristics of Storage Reservoirs.
4. Principles and Concepts in the Hydrologic Design and Operation of Storage Reservoirs.
5. Systems Approach in the Hydrologic Design and Operation of Storage Reservoirs.
6. Hydrologic Analysis of Flood Flows.
7. Methods of Approach for Designing Optimal Storage Capacities and Operational Strategies for Multireservoir Systems.
8. Determination of the Optimal Reservoir Storage Capacity and Operational Parameters for a River Dam.
9. Hydrological Sizing of Reservoirs for Flood Protection.
10. Application of the Moran Model in Reservoir Storage Design.
List of References and Bibliography. Index.