ICD-9-CM Coding, 2010 Edition: Theory and Practice available in Paperback
Ensure professional success in ICD-9-CM coding with reliable, straightforward coverage of the latest ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting and practical preparation for the transition to ICD-10. This clear, easy-to-use text is your key to mastering the coding classifications you’ll use in practice, providing thorough information on the principles of coding supported by fundamental anatomy and physiology and documentation concepts, then applied through realistic examples and practical exercises.
• A systematic approach outlines basic concepts and walks you through the complete coding process using all three volumes of the ICD-9-CM.
• A full-color design helps reinforce anatomy and physiology coverage, tying it to key coding concepts.
• ICD-9-CM guidelines open each coding chapter, with examples that clearly demonstrate their real-world applications.
• Learning objectives help you study more effectively.
• Abbreviations are clearly defined at the beginning of each chapter for quick reference.
• Problem-solving exercises throughout each chapter provide valuable practice using key coding principles as you learn them.
• Illustrations and overviews of anatomy, physiology, and related disease conditions in each coding chapter help you better visualize and understand what the codes represent.
• A glossary at the end of each chapter helps you quickly find the definitions for key terms.
• Direct, up-to-date references to the AHA’s Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM verify accuracy and point you to additional sources of reliable information.
• Coverage of common medications used to treat specific disorders familiarizes you with the drug names you’ll encounter in medical records and can help in clarifying a diagnosis with the physician.
• Revised coding content reflects the latest ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting to help you ensure the most accurate, up-to-date coding.
• ICD-10-CM content included throughout the text provides fundamental preparation for the new code set to be implemented in 2013.
• Dual Coding presents ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes beside corresponding ICD-9-CM codes to familiarize you with the proper application of the new code set.
• Chapters and content are reorganized to help you locate material with greater ease and study more efficiently.
• New appendices concentrate complete guidelines for implementing ICD-10 in one place and provide fast, easy reference to updated MS-DRG information and AHIMA’s Standards for Ethical Coding.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 1.25(h) x 9.00(d)|
Table of Contents
- The Rationale for and History of Coding
- The Health Record as the Foundation for Coding
- ICD-9-CM Format and Conventions
- Basic Steps of Coding
- General Coding Guidelines for Diagnosis
- General Coding Guidelines for Procedures
- Reimbursement Methodologies
- Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defined Conditions, and V Codes (V codes and ICD-9-CM Chapter 16, Codes 780-799)
- Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (ICD-9-CM Chapter 1, Codes 001-039)
- Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs (ICD-9-CM Chapter 4, Codes 280-289)
- Diseases of the Genitourinary System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 10, Codes 580-629)
- Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases, and Immunity Disorders (ICD-9-CM Chapter 3, Codes 240-279)
- Diseases of the Respiratory System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 8, Codes 460-519)
- Diseases of the Circulatory System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 7, Codes 390-459)
- Neoplasms (ICD-9-CM Chapter 2, Codes 140-239)
- Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (ICD-9-CM Chapter 11, Codes 630-677)
- Congenital Anomalies and Perinatal Conditions (ICD-9-CM Chapter 14, Codes 740-759, and Chapter 15, Codes 760-779)
- Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (ICD-9-CM Chapter 13, codes 710-739)
- Injuries and E Codes (ICD-9-CM Chapter 17, Codes 800-995, and External Causes, E800-E999)
- Burns, Adverse Effects, and Poisonings (ICD-9-CM Chapter 17, Codes 800-995)
- Complications of Surgical and Medical Care, and Late Effects
- Diseases of the Digestive System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 9, Codes 520-579)
- Mental Disorders (ICD-9-CM Chapter 5, Codes 290-319)
- Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs (ICD-9-CM Chapter 6, Codes 320-389)
- Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (ICD-9-CM Chapter 12, Codes 680-709)
- Outpatient Coding
Appendix A. ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Appendix B. ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Appendix C. ICD-10-PCS Guidelines
Appendix D. ICD-10-PCS Root Operations
Appendix E. MS-DRG list 2009
Appendix F. How to Interpret the Standards of Ethical Coding