Preface and Acknowledgments.
Student Exercise: American Diversity – and Me; American Diversity – and You.
1. Creating America; Creating Americans.
2. Americans and Aliens, 1750–1835.
3. Emigrants and Regional Strife, 1820–1860.
Student Exercise: Catholic Nuns Testify in Court after the Burning of the Charlestown Convent.
4. Redefining the Nation, 1850–1900.
Student Exercise: Can a Negro be a Nativist?.
5. Immigrants in a Nativist America, 1890-1920.
Student Exercise, Determining the Geographic Origins of Immigrants at Century's Turn.
6. Migrants, Immigrants, and Scientific Racism, 1900-1945.
7. The Postwar USA: Nation of Immigrants or Multicultural Nation?.
Student Exercise: Ethnicity, Authors, and their Books.
8. Today's Immigrants; Tomorrow's Nation.
Student Exercise: This Week's Headlines: An Oral Report on Immigration's Impact on Local Communities.