In Concert: An Integrated Approach to Reading and Writing / Edition 2 available in Paperback
For courses in Integrated Reading and Writing at the paragraph/essay level.
Integrated thematic instruction at the paragraph and essay level
In Concert: An Integrated Approach to Reading and Writing engages readers by presenting each chapter in the context of a resonant theme, such as overcoming adversity, Internet dating, and the Black Lives Matter movement. Student and professional essays start each chapter and serve as the basis for instruction, illustration, and practice. Author Kathleen McWhorter emphasizes critical thinking throughout, which helps to prepare learners for their future courses or careers.
In Concert, Third Edition, is the second book in a two¿-part series that shows reading and writing as a single process of understanding and expressing ideas – and how they really do work together in concert. This volume explores paragraphs and essays; In Harmony concentrates on sentences and paragraphs.
The loose-leaf version of this text is also available with MyLab Reading & Writing Skills
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. When students enter your course with varying skill levels, MyLab can help you identify which students need extra support and provide them targeted practice and instruction outside of class.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab Reading & Writing Skills does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text (loose-leaf version) and MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, search for:
0134995945 / 9780134995946 MyLab Reading & Writing Skills for In Concert: An Integrated Approach to Reading and Writing, Books a la Carte Edition Plus - Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0134746546 / 9780134746548 In Concert: An Integrated Approach to Reading and Writing, 3rd Edition, Books a la Carte Edition
- 0134985141 / 9780134985145 MyLab Reading & Writing Skills with Pearson eText -- Standalone Access Card -- for In Concert: An Integrated Approach to Reading and Writing
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.70(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Kathleen T. McWhorter is the author of more than a dozen textbooks, designed to help students succeed in college. Born in a rural farm community in Upstate New York, she went on to receive her EdD from SUNY Buffalo. For 34 years, she taught at Niagara County Community College in Sanborn, NY, where she is a professor emerita of humanities. Through her textbooks, Dr. McWhorter has helped an estimated 500,000 students improve their reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills.
Table of Contents
PART ONE — INTRODUCTION TO READING AND WRITING
1. An Overview of the Reading Process (with Writing)
2. An Overview of the Writing Process (with Reading) Vocabulary Workshop
PART TWO — READING, WRITING, AND ORGANIZING PARAGRAPHS
3. Topics, Main Ideas, and Topic Sentences
4. Details, Transitions, and Implied Main Ideas
5. Organization: Basic Patterns
6. Organization: Additional Patterns
7. Strategies for Revising Paragraphs
PART THREE — READING AND WRITING ESSAYS
8. Reading, Planning, and Organizing Essays
9. Drafting and Revising Essays
10. Reading and Writing Essays with Multiple Patterns
11. Writing Essays Using Sources
PART FOUR — CRITICAL THINKING, READING, AND WRITING
12. Critical Thinking: Making Inferences and Analyzing the Author’s Message
13. Critical Thinking: Evaluating the Author’s Techniques
14. Critical Thinking: Reading and Writing Arguments
PART FIVE — THEMATIC READER: WRITING IN RESPONSE TO READING
PART SIX — REVIEWING THE BASICS