Only a fool crosses a god.
- WINNER: Pinnacle Book Achievement Award – Best Fantasy
Chosen as a five-year-old orphan to be the Left Hand of Death, Ellaeva has nothing to call her own—nothing except a desire to avenge her slaughtered parents.
Lyram, third in line for the throne, is serving out his exile after the murder of his wife. When the castle is unexpectedly besieged, he fears his prince means to remove him from contention for the crown permanently.
Ellaeva's arrival at the castle brings Lyram hope, until she reveals she has not come for the siege, but instead to hunt for a hidden necromancer dedicated to the dark god of decay.
Within their stone prison, Ellaeva and Lyram must fight to save themselves from political machinations and clashing gods. But as the siege lengthens, the greatest threat comes from an unexpected quarter.
EVOLVED PUBLISHING PRESENTS the award-winning first book in "The Sundered Oath" series of dark, epic fantasies. [DRM-Free]
BOOKS BY C.J. BALLINTYNE:
- The Sundered Oath – Book 1: "In the Company of the Dead"
- The Sundered Oath – Book 2: "On the Edge of Death"
- The Sundered Oath – Book 3: "To Make the Dead Weep"
- The Sundered Oath – Book 4: "To Play Death's Hand" [Coming Soon]
- The Seven Circles of Hell – Book 1: "Confronting the Demon"
- The Seven Circles of Hell – Book 2: "Stalking the Demon"
- The Seven Circles of Hell – Book 3: "Becoming the Demon"
- The Seven Circles of Hell – Book 4: "Being the Demon" [Coming Soon]
MORE GREAT FANTASY FROM EVOLVED PUBLISHING:
- The "Kingdom in Chains" Series by J.W. Zulauf
- "Shadow Swarm" by D. Robert Pease
- The "Stormbourne Chronicles" Series by Karissa Laurel
- The "Essence of Ohr" Series by Parris Sheets
- The "Hellbound" Series by William LJ Galaini
Related collections and offers
About the Author
C.J. Ballintyne grew up on a steady diet of adult epic fantasy from the age of nine, resulting in a rather confused outlook on life – believing the good guys should always win, but knowing they often don’t. C.J. is an oxymoron; an idealistic cynic.
C.J.’s attempts at the craft of writing began in 1992, culminating in the publication of Confronting the Demon, the first book in “The Seven Circles of Hell” series, in 2013. In the Company of the Dead is C.J’s first book published by Evolved Publishing, and the first book in “The Sundered Oath” series.
For fun, C.J. speculates about taking over the world – how hard can it really be? If C.J. could be anything, it would be a dragon, but to be honest, C.J. shares more in common with Dr. Gregory House of House M.D. – both the good and the bad. C.J. is a browncoat, a saltgunner, a Whedonite, a Sherlockian, a Ringer and a Whovian... OK, most major geek fandoms. C.J. holds degrees in law and accounting and is a practising financial services lawyer.
C.J. lives in Sydney, Australia, with two daughters and a growing menagerie of animals that includes two horses but unfortunately no dragons.