Inclusive Teaching: The Journey Towards Effective Schools for All Learners / Edition 2 available in Paperback
Organized around the profound question, “How can we create schools and classrooms where vastly diverse students learn well together?” the text strives to provide a myriad of creative answers to this question for our future teachers and remains centrally focused on how to create an effective school for all learners.
Addresses learning for all students including: students with mild to severe disabilities, gifted and talented students, racially and culturally diverse students, students with differing sexual preferences and more. The text systematically addresses beliefs and values, commitment to leadership, and practical instructional strategies, all based on a coherent philosophy and set of practices, to create classrooms in which all students learn effectively together. Also covers varying topics in the ways that teachers think such as arranging the physical classroom, dealing with the social-emotional needs of students, designing effective, multi-level, differentiated instruction. The text remains positively devoted to teaching change and impacting the future of all students learning together.
Written for both general and special education teachers, gifted consultants, bilingual teachers, speech therapists, literacy coaches, reading specialists, literacy coordinators, and staff development coordinators; also helpful for administrators at all levels.
Table of Contents
1. Celebrate Difference: Promoting and Inclusive and Caring Society Through Education
2. Introduction to Inclusive Teaching: Educating All Children Together Well (with contributions by Douglas Fisher)
3. Diverse Students in the Classroom: How Students are Different and the Same
4. Planning Individualized Differentiation: Interventions for Students with Special Needs
5. Provide Support and Collaborate: Getting Help and Building a School Community
6. Partner with Families adn the Community: Building Relationships for Learning
7. Develop and Inclusive School and Classroom: Using Space and Physical Resources to Support All Students
8. Make Environmental Accommodations and Use Assistive Technology: Tools That Extend Human Capacity
and Promote Learning
9. Build a Community for Learning: Promoting Mutual CAre, Support, and Celebration
10. Meet Needs of Students with Challenging Behaviors: Positive Strategies for Difficult Situations
11. Inclusive Academic Instruction, Part I: Planning Inclusive Lessons and Units
12. Inclusive Academic Instruction, Part II: Multilevel and Differentiated Learning Activities
13. Inclusive Academic Instruction, Part III: Applications in Subjects