Insiders Talk: How to Get and Keep Your First Lobbying Job shows aspiring lobbyists how to prepare for and get your first lobbying job and then, during your first critical weeks in the profession, how to establish the reputation that will direct the rest of your career. How to Get and Keep Your First Lobbying Job prepares aspiring lobbyists to answer career-defining questions before opportunity comes:
- Do I know what lobbying really requires?
- Do I have the aptitude to succeed as a lobbyist?
- What kind of lobbyist do I want to become?
- Where do I start building the expertise that makes me a good hire?
- How do I build job-opening relationships?
- How do I prepare myself before looking for a job?
- What do I do to define myself during my first days on the job?
"It is better to be prepared and not have an opportunity than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." Franco Genarro, NCAA/NFL Sports Chaplain
Related collections and offers
About the Author
In 1999 he published Guide to State Legislative Lobbying, the primer in effective state-level advocacy. In 2000 he founded the Lobby School which mission is to train lobbyists in The Campaign Method for More Effective State Government Affairs. The Campaign Method teaches both legislative and executive agency advocacy skills. Thousands of Lobbyists have participated in his training. He has since published a 15-part video series on the Campaign Method and written four additional lobbying manuals. Insiders Talk: How to Successfully Lobby State Legislatures (subtitled) Guide to State Legislative Lobbying, 4th Edition - Revised, Expanded, Updated is the third in the six-book Insiders Talk series of best-practices lobbying manuals, each with increasing level of lobbying sophistication.
Mr. Guyer holds Juris Doctor, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, and Bachelor of Arts degrees from the University of Florida. He is admitted to the practice of law in Florida and the District of Columbia
Table of Contents
- Do You Know What Lobbying Is? 8
- Do You Have the Aptitude to Succeed as a Lobbyist? 14
- Lobbyists Are Paid Well 18
- There Aren’t Many Open Lobbying Jobs 19
- What Kind of Lobbyist Do You Want to Become? 21
- Menu of Opportunities to Build Relationships 23
- You Have to Be Good, but Being Good Isn’t Necessarily
- Good Enough 40
- How to Prepare Yourself Before Starting Your Job Search 42
- What to Do on Your First Day on the Job 53
Appendix 1: Can Working in an Election Campaign
Help Me Achieve My Legislative Goals? 64
- Why Work in an Election Campaign? 64
- The Rapid Evolution of Modern Election Campaigns 65
- For Which Particular Candidates Should I Work? 66
- Eyes Wide Open: Can I Afford to Lose My Bet? 67
- What Kinds of Support Can I Legally Give? 68
- What Can I Do Specifically for the Candidate’s
- Campaign? 70
- The Value of “Face” Time 73
- The Legislative Rewards of Volunteering 74
- Long-term Rewards of Working in Election Campaigns 75
Appendix 2: Effective Lobbying Is Getting Votes! Fundamentals for Successful Lobbying 79