This guidebook concentrates on two parts of the verbal section: Sentence Equivalence and Text Completion. A top score on these two parts of the test depends on a knowledge of advanced vocabulary. This is not the vocabulary students of English typically encounter in their language classes. The words that appear in these sections tend to be high-level, low-frequency words. A familiarity withn"GRE vocabulary" is a critical part of preparation for the test.
To help you maximize your score on the Verbal section of the GRE, this guidebook includes:
• An introduction to the GRE as a whole and hints for preparing for the test
• Tactics for attacking Sentence Equivalence and Text Completion problems
• Ten exercises containing items that closely resemble those on the actual GRE
• A list of 360 important vocabulary items; these words have appeared on past tests or are likely to appear on future tests
• A variety of exercises to practice using the words on the list: fill in the blank, matching, multiple choice, crossword puzzles, etc.
• A comprehensive vocabulary review
• A list of common English word roots to help you guess the meaning of unfamiliar words
• A supplemental list of 400 vocabulary words likely to appear on GRE tests