Introduction to Human Services: Policy and Practice / Edition 6 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Known for its engaging writing style and use of many current examples and cases of human service practitioners at work, An Introduction to Human Services is one of the leading texts in the introductory human services market.
What reviewers are saying about the Sixth Edition. . .
"The book’s treatment of policy issues is far more extensive than is typical of intro textbooks. . . . Consistent with this is its coverage of the social welfare system as it currently exists, including the major cornerstone programs (TANF, WIC, Food Stamps, SSI, etc.) that any well-informed worker needs to know about to serve clients well."
Pamela Kiser, Elon University
Highlights of the Sixth Edition
• Current diversity issues are discussed, including references to the September 11th attacks, new material on Arab-Americans, racial profiling, and racial discrimination. One of the authors shares her own experiences of race and class privilege.
• Includes up-to-date information on the opposition to abortion (Chapter 5) and gay and lesbian marriage, affirmative action, bilingual education, and new immigration policies (Chapter 7).
• Thoroughly updated with information on Social Security, TANF, day care, SSI, food stamps, WIC, Medicare, school breakfast and lunch, unemployment insurance, Earned Income Tax Credit, and more (Chapter 6).
• Includes updated information on managed care (Chapter 9).
• Includes discussions on unique topics in human service with information on stem cell research, cloning, sperm banks releasing information on biological fathers, as well as charging pregnant women whoare substance abusers with child abuse.
Research Navigator for Social Work
Research Navigator can be a student’s best friend when facing a large research project. Especially helpful with the toughest challengegetting startedResearch Navigator offers a comprehensive, step-by-step walk-through of the research process, along with access to some of the most respected source databases available. Access to Research Navigatora $15 valueis FREE when packaged with any new Allyn & Bacon textbook! If your text did not come packaged with Research Navigator, visit www.researchnavigator.com today to purchase immediate access.
The Career Center
Students need help transitioning from the academic world to the professional. With The Career Center, they can register to receive eight 30-minute career counseling sessionsa total of four hours of career consultant time! The Career Center is designed to address the wide range of preparation and life stages of individuals who are attempting to develop their careers. Qualified career specialists advise students as they establish, or reestablish, themselves in today’s competitive global economy. The Career Centera $25 valueis FREE to your students when you order it packaged with any new Allyn & Bacon textbook. Visit www.ablongman.com/careercenter for more information. Contact your local Allyn & Bacon representative and request special packaging codes to take advantage of these great offers.
|Publisher:||Allyn & Bacon, Inc.|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.44(w) x 9.16(h) x 0.91(d)|
Table of Contents
I. THE CONTEXT OF HUMAN SERVICE WORK.
1. What Are Human Services? What Do Human Service Workers Do?
2. The Changing Nature of the Helping Process.
3. Strategies of Intervention.
4. Attitudes/Values, Skills, and Knowledge.
5. Values and Ethical Dilemmas.
6. The Social Welfare System.
II. IMPLEMENTING HUMAN SERVICE INTERVENTIONS.
7. Working with Diversity.
9. Case Management/Counseling.
10. Facilitating Groups.
11. Program Planning.
12. Organizing and Changing Systems.
III. THRIVING AND SURVIVING IN THIS FIELD.
13. Understanding Legal Issues.
14. Staying Current and Avoiding Burnout.