The leading medical-surgical text for LPN/LVN students, Linton's Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing, 6th Edition offers just the right level of information to equip today’s students to effectively care for adults and older adults. Covering both medical-surgical and psychiatric mental health conditions and disorders, this comprehensive text addresses the LPN/LVN's role in a variety of care settings, including acute care and long-term care, with a special emphasis on assignment and supervision responsibilities. It also emphasizes culturally competent care and holistic nursing, while thoroughly covering all relevant NCLEX-PN test plan content No other resource offers the breadth of topics at a level that is so perfectly tailored to the LPN/LVN student.
• Foundational units on basic concepts related to the health care system, care settings, the nursing process, leadership, nutrition, the older adult, growth and nutrition, legal/ethical considerations, evidence-based nursing care, and many more essential topics, avoid repetition later in the text and create a foundation to build your understanding of disorders by body system.
• Safety alerts are highlighted throughout the text with a Safety Considerations icon.
• A separate unit on psychiatric mental health nursing covers psychosocial responses to illness, psychiatric disorders, and substance abuse eliminating the need for a separate psychiatric mental health nursing text.
• Content related to the NCLEX-PN test plan is emphasized throughout the text, including health promotion, nutrition, legal/ethical issues, HIPAA, and prevention of medication/medical errors.
• Separate chapters on common, high-profile disorders (including hypertension, diabetes, and shock), provide an in-depth understanding for patient care.
• Focus on assignment and supervision helps you assign tasks to nurse assistants, patient care techs, and unlicensed assistive personnel, and makes sure they understand the difference between delegation, management, supervision, and assignment of tasks on the health care team.
• UNIQUE! In-depth pharmacology coverage includes: the Pharmacology Tutorial covering drug classifications, how drugs work, and nursing responsibilities; Pharmacology Capsules boxes providing medication information, precautions for use, interactions, and side/adverse effects; and Pharmacology and Medications tables including classification, use/action, side/adverse effects, and nursing interventions.
• A separate unit on gerontologic nursing provides comprehensive coverage of the care of the older adult and related disorders. No other LPN/LVN med-surg text offers as much coverage of this primary patient group.
• Diagnostic Tests and Procedures tables offer quick reference to MRI, CT, Doppler flow, lumbar puncture tests for neurologic disorders, and much more.
• Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight timely wellness and disease prevention topics.
• Patient Teaching Plans provide bulleted lists of nursing instructions for patients, stressing the role and responsibility of the LPN/LVN to reinforce patient education.
• Nutrition Considerations boxes are spotlighted at appropriate points throughout the text to emphasize the role that nutrition plays in disease and nursing care.
• Nursing care plans reinforce the nursing process and focus on critical thinking.
• Cultural Considerations boxes discuss the importance of providing culturally-competent care related to various clinical situations.
• Put on Your Thinking Cap boxes allow you to pause and consider the practical implications of what you have just read.
• Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN Examination! sections at the end of chapters include key points, review questions, and case studies that address the various NCLEX Client Needs categories.
• NEW! Continued emphasis on evidence-based practice and the most current research findings include specific examples of how scientific evidence can justify and support patient care.
• NEW! Updated nursing diagnoses all reflect the most current NANDA listings for NCLEX compliance.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.60(w) x 10.90(h) x 2.00(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Unit I Patient Care Concepts 1.The Health Care System 2.Nursing in Varied Patient Care Settings 3.Legal and Ethical Considerations 4.The Leadership Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse 5.The Nurse-Patient Relationship 6.Cultural Aspects of Nursing Care 7.The Nurse and the Family 8.Health and Illness 9.Nutrition 10.Developmental Processes 11.The Older Patient 12.The Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
Unit II Pysiologic Responses to Illness 13.Inflammation, Infection, and Immunity 14.Fluid and Electrolytes 15.Pain Management
Unit III Acute Care 16.First Aid, Emergency Care, and Disaster Management 17.Surgical Care 18.Intravenous Therapy 19.Shock
Unit IV Long-Term Care and Home Health Care 20.Falls 21.Immobility 22.Delirium and Dementia 23.Incontinence 24.Loss, Death, and End-of-Life Care
Unit V Cancer 25.The Patient with Cancer 26.The Patient with an Ostomy
Unit VI Neurologic Disorders 27.Neurologic Disorders 28.Cerebrovascular Accident 29.Spinal Cord Injury
Unit VII Respiratory Disorders 30.Disorders of the Upper Respiratory Tract: Nose, Sinuses, Throat 31.Acute Disorders of the Lower Respiratory Tract 32.Chronic Disorders of the Lower Respiratory Tract
Unit VIII Hematologic and Immunologic disorders 33.Hematologic Disorders 34.Immunologic Disorders 35.Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
Unit IX Cardiovascular Disorders 36.Cardiac Disorders 37.Vascular Disorders 38.Hypertension
Unit X Digestive Disorders 39.Disorders of the Upper Digestive Tract 40.Disasters of the Lower Digestive Tract 41.Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreatic Disorders
Unit XI Urologic Disorders 42.Urologic Disorders
Unit XII Musculoskeletal Disorders 43.Connective Tissue Disorders 44.Fractures 45.Amputations
Unit XIII Endocrine Disorders 46.Pituitary and Adrenal Disorders 47.Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders 48.Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia
Unit XIV Reproductive Disorders 49.Female Reproductive Disorders 50.Male Reproductive Disorders 51.Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit XV Integumentary Disorders 52.Skin Disorders
Unit XVI Disorders of the Eyes and Ears 53.Eye and Vision Disorders 54.Ear and Hearing Disorders
Unit XVII Mental Health and Illness 55.Psychologic Responses to Illness 56.Psychiatric Disorders 57.Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders Glossary Index