The full-color guide to getting the most out of your iPhone
Completely updated and revised to include iOS 5, iCloud, and the latest iPhone features, this full-color book is your guide to all things iPhone. Bestselling veteran authors Edward Baig and Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus introduce you to the capabilities of the iPhone for making phone calls, browsing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mails, working with the calendar, watching and recording HD videos, taking and editing great photos, and much more. You'll discover how to set up iTunes, buy music and videos, protect your information, troubleshoot, multitask, and download the hundreds of thousands of apps available from the App Store.
- Gets you started with your iPhone, and gets you on your way to mastering the multitouch interface, synching with iCloud, making phone and video calls, texting, working with the calendar, and more
- Explains setting up iTunes, watching videos, taking photos, making FaceTime video calls, and listening to your favorite music
- Walks you through connecting to the Internet, sending and receiving e-mails, getting directions from GPS maps, working with Siri - your voice-activated virtual assistant, protecting your information, and troubleshooting
- Addresses the latest updates, iCloud, and new iOS 5 features that make your iPhone even more powerful and easy to use
- Includes coverage of iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the iPhone 4 models from all major carriers
Presented in the straightforward-but-fun style that defines the Dummies series, iPhone For Dummies, 5th Edition is the just the book you need to get acquainted with your brand new iPhone.
About the Author
Edward C. Baig is the Personal Technology columnist for USA TODAY and the author of Macs For Dummies, 11th Edition.
Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus pens the popular "Dr. Mac" column for the Houston Chronicle and is the author of Incredible iPhone Apps For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting to Know Your iPhone 5
Chapter 1: Unveiling the iPhone 7
Chapter 2: iPhone Basic Training 23
Chapter 3: Synchronicity: Getting Stuff to and from Your iPhone 47
Chapter 4: Understanding the Phone-damentals 71
Part II: The Mobile iPhone 91
Chapter 5: Texting 1, 2, 3: Messages and Notes 93
Chapter 6: Five Indispensible Utilities 105
Chapter 7: Taking the iPhone Siri-ously 125
Part III: The Multimedia iPhone 133
Chapter 8: Get in Tune(s): Audio on Your iPhone 135
Chapter 9: “Smile”: Taking Pictures with Your iPhone 153
Chapter 10: You Oughta Be in Pictures: Video on Your iPhone 173
Part IV: The Internet iPhone 187
Chapter 11: Going On a Mobile Safari 189
Chapter 12: The E-Mail Must Get Through 205
Chapter 13: Tracking with Maps, Compass, Stocks, and Weather 229
Part V: The Undiscovered iPhone 249
Chapter 14: Setting You Straight on Settings 251
Chapter 15: Apps-O-Lutely! 275
Chapter 16: When Good iPhones Go Bad 295
Part VI: The Part of Tens 309
Chapter 17: Ten Appetizing Apps 311
Chapter 18: Ten Apps Worth Paying For 327
Chapter 19: Ten Helpful Hints, Tips, and Shortcuts 341
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This good was very good for the basics but I had very specific questions that I ended up going back to my cell provider to get answers.
So far I love it. I carry it with me for references when I run into something I don't understand. Also, mine is the one for seniors.