Jersey Norman French. Drawing on a corpus of original data, itoffers
historical and dialectological sketches, an assessment oflanguage
planning on Jersey, and an account of language change inprogress. It
also establishes the relevance of Jersey Norman French to thefield of
About the Author
Table of ContentsAcknowledgements.
List of Figures.
List of Maps.
List of Tables.
1. Introduction 1
2. The Sociohistorical Setting 7
3. The Jerriais Dialect 18
4. A Sociolinguistic Profile of the Jerriais Speech Community45
5. Language Planning on Jersey 70
6. Linguistic Developments in Modern Jerriais 97
7. Lexical Erosion in Modern Jerriais 140
8. Cross-linguistic Influence on Jersey 156
9. Conclusion 181
Appendix 1. List of Informants According to Parish of Origin191
Appendix 2. Figures Illustrating Results Discussed in Chapter 7192
General Index 231
Index of Authors 235
Index of Languages and Dialects 238