Plain-English explanations of the new tax laws
Each year, complicated new tax laws are created-and this year is no exception. From alternative minimum tax relief through higher exemption amounts to higher standard deduction amounts for nonitemizers, the rules of the tax game are constantly changing. The question is: will you have a strategy in place to make the most of these changes?
Written by the recognized authority in taxes, J.K. Lasser's New Tax Law Simplified 2004 transforms the complex new tax laws into simple English that any taxpayer can understand. Filled with up-to-the-minute facts and figures as well as numerous examples and tables, this book makes it easy for you to understand-and profit from-the laws that govern your taxes.
With this book, you'll understand:
• The new tax treatment of capital gains and dividends
• The key tax changes that affect you right now
• Rules being phased-in over the next several years
• Changes to various deductions, tax breaks, and credits
• New tax breaks to improve your family's education
• Faster, easier retirement savings options
• And much, much more!
About the Author
J.K. LASSER has provided expert tax and financial advice to more than thirty-seven million Americans for over sixty years.
BARBARA WELTMAN, an attorney, is a nationally recognized expert in taxation for small businesses. She has written extensively on tax, finance, and estate planning. Barbara is an experienced writer and is quoted regularly in major publications, including the New York Times and Boardroom’s Tax Hotline. She is also featured on CNN and CNBC. Visit her at www.bwideas.com and subscribe to her newsletter!
Table of Contents
1. Income Tax Rate Reductions.
2. Tax Relief for Families.
3. Tax Relief for Investors.
4. Tax Relief for Educational Expenses.
5. Pension and IRA Relief.
6. Small Business Tax Relief.
7. Estate, Gift, and Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Relief.
8. Miscellaneous Tax Changes.
Appendix: State-by-State College Savings Plans.