John / Edition 1 available in Paperback
This pioneering commentary embraces the full scope and themes raised in John's Gospel, offering an engaging and perceptive reading. Mark Edwards explores a diverse range of excerpts and creative responses, with particular emphasis on the treatment of the Gospel in English poetry.
- Explores the diverse themes and issues raised in John’s Gospel, and considers its influence on figures from Saint Augustine, to Dorothy Sayers and Bob Dylan.
- Treats well-known interpreters such as Thomas Aquinas along with lesser-known figures such as the Gnostic Heracleon, and the sixth-century hymn-writer, Romanos.
- Brings ancient and modern commentators into dialogue with each other, and takes a critical stance towards some parallels drawn by modern scholars between the Gospel and the surrounding pagan culture.
- Features excerpts from a wide variety of poets who give a creative interpretation of John’s Gospel, and considers many artistic representations.
- Suggests that imaginative response can illuminate a reading of the Bible where purely critical and historical analysis has proved unsatisfactory.
- An accessible introduction and extensive section notes address interpretations of the Gospel from antiquity to the present.
- Published as part of the ground-breaking Blackwell Bible Commentaries series.
More information about this series is available from the Blackwell Bible Commentaries website at http://www.bbibcomm.net/
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations.
Series Editors' Preface.
List of Abbreviations.
Introduction: the Gospel and its Interpreters.
Christ the Word: John 1.1-18.
The Baptist’s Testimony: John 1.19-51.
Symbols of Purity: Chapter 2.
The New Birth: John 2.23-4.2.
The Samaritan: Chapter 4.
Two Healings and their Aftermath: 4.46-5.47.
Bread from Heaven: Chapter 6.
Ministry in Jerusalem: Chapters 7 and 8.
Parables of the Messiah: Chapters 9 and 10.
The Raising of Lazarus: Chapter 11.
Preparing for Death: Chapters 12 and 13.
Christ and Spirit: Chapter 14.
Valedictory: Chapters 15-17.
Arrest and Trial: Chapter 18.
The Crucifixion: Chapter 19.
The Resurrection: Chapter 20.
The Final Commission: Chapter 21.