- Mass for 3 voices, chorus, orchestra & continuo in F major, BWV 233 (BC E6)
- Mass for 3 voices, chorus, 2 flutes, strings & continuo in A major, BWV 234 (BC E3)
- Mass for 3 voices, chorus, 2 oboes, strings & continuo in G minor, BWV 235 (BC E5)
- Mass for 4 voices, chorus, 2 oboes, strings & continuo in G major, BWV 236 (BC E4)
- Want it by Thursday, October 18 Order now and choose Expedited Shipping during checkout.
This two-disc set of Bach's "Missae Breves" with Thomas Folan directing the Publick Musick Orchestra and Chorus is not an earnest but misguided attempt by a regional American period-instrument group to compete with the front-rank international period-instrument groups, but a fully worthy collection of performances in its on right. In existence a decade when this recording was made in 2005, Publick Musick from Rochester, NY, is skillful, sincere, dedicated, and determined, and under talented conductor Folan, the group digs deep into the musical and spiritual matter of Bach's short Masses. Featuring mostly first-rate vocal soloists -- soprano Andrea Folan has a particularly sweet voice -- and consistently first-rate instrumental soloists -- violinist Martin Davids has an especially affecting tone -- and recorded in bright yet deep sound by Peter Watchorn and Joel Gordon for Musica Omnia in 2005, this disc deserves to be heard by anyone with an interest in the repertoire.