Jumbo Ghosts is divided into three sections. Each chapter begins with bad news for elephants-followed by some good news. In the chapters in the first section, we look at the origins of our ancient and remarkable human-elephant bond-and at the origins of the dangers we've created for elephants living in zoos.
In the second section, we take a detailed look at what makes life so dangerous for elephants living in modern zoos-and for the people who work with them.
In the final section, we look at new ideas for 21st Century zoos that will eliminate all of the dangers for elephants living in them, and that will permanently mend our broken bond with these old, gigantic friends of ours.
|Product dimensions:||8.10(w) x 7.94(h) x 0.85(d)|
Table of Contents1. Jumbo Ghosts-the Dangerous Life of Elephants in the Zoo
2. The Bond-the Mysterious Natural Affinity between Elephants and People
3. First Contact
4. Comrades in Arms
5. Partners in the Forest
6. Under Lock and Key
7. The Concrete Jungle
8. The Zoo-genic Diseases of Elephants
9. Training Tango-the Dangers of the Traditional Zoo Elephant Training and Management Methods
10. Jumbos in Jeopardy-Elephant Conservation in the Zoo
11. Tusk and Bone-Trench Warfare with the Zoo-genic Diseases of Elephants
12. Repairing the Zoo Environment for Elephants-Eliminating the Dangers of the Traditional Zoo Exhibit
13. Mending the Methods-Making Life in the Zoo Better for Elephants by Employing New, Enlightened Methods for their Training And Management
14. A New Zoo that Meets the Needs of the Elephants-the Challenges and Rewards of the Wildlife Conservation Park
15. Mending the Human-Elephant Bond-What can I do for the Elephants?