A brief yet thorough introduction with an emphasis on real-world issues
Briefer and less expensive than traditional core textbooks, Juvenile Justice: The Essentials provides a current, thought-provoking introduction to juvenile justice, juvenile delinquency, the challenges of reducing juvenile crime, and of providing equal and fair justice for all juvenile offenders. Offering a comprehensive yet concise overview of the field's most important concepts and issues, authors Richard Lawrence and Mario Hesse include cutting-edge research; practical examples of juvenile justice in action; and up-to-date coverage of laws, policies, and programs in juvenile justice. Engaging pedagogical features illustrate true-to-life cases, policies, and practices that capture student interest by vividly responding to the "So what?" question of how delinquency theories apply in the real world.
- A unique chapter on restorative justice covers restorative practices with juvenile offenders.
- "Case in Point" boxes with accompanying questions include scenarios or vignettes of juvenile justice cases to encourage students to think about and discuss major issues; photos illustrate key points in the chapters.
- "Policy and Practice" boxes explore the real-life implications of juvenile justice policy and address student interest in the "What works?" questions about juvenile justice.
- Chapter Highlights begin each chapter, providing a preview of forthcoming topics.
- Bulleted Summaries, Key Terms, and Discussion Questions at the end of each chapter help students master key concepts and engage in critical thought and discussion of important findings, justice policies and practices.
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.70(d)|
Table of Contents
About the Authors
1. Defining and Measuring Juvenile Delinquency
2. The History of Juvenile Justice
3. Causes of Delinquency: Rational Choice and Individual Explanations
4. Sociological Explanations of Delinquency
5. Correlates and Causes of Delinquency
6. Police and Juveniles
7. Due Process and Juveniles' Rights
8. Juvenile Detention and Court Intake
9. Transfer to Criminal Court
10. The Juvenile Court Process
11. Juvenile Corrections: Institutional and Residential
12. Juvenile Probation and Community Corrections
13. Restorative Justice
14. The Future of Juvenile Justice