Prepare for a successful career in medical assisting! Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 12th Edition helps you learn the real-world administrative and clinical skills essential to working in the health care setting. Administrative coverage ranges from professionalism and interpersonal skills to billing and coding and electronic health records; clinical content teaches how to assist with medications, diagnostic procedures, and surgeries. And no other comprehensive medical assisting text can match its coverage of assisting with medical specialties! Written by medical assisting experts Alexandra Adams and Deborah Proctor, this classic resource also includes an Evolve companion website with practical exercises and activities, videos, and review questions for the CMA and RMA certification exams.
- More chapters on assisting with medical specialties than any other Medical Assisting text prepare you to assist in specialty exams and make you better qualified to work in specialty fields like cardiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, gynecology, and neurology.
- Step-by-step, illustrated procedures make it easier to learn and understand medical assisting skills, and include rationales for each step.
- Threaded case scenarios help you develop critical thinking skills and apply concepts to realistic administrative and clinical situations.
- Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the Medical Assistant's job.
- A Portfolio Builder on the Evolve website helps you demonstrate proficiency to potential employers.
- Detailed learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions in each chapter help you study more effectively, with connections icons linking concepts in the text to exercises in the study guide and on the Evolve companion website.
- Study Guide includes a variety of exercises to test your knowledge and critical thinking skills, case scenarios from the book, and a Procedure Checklists Manual. Sold separately.
- NEW! Charting examples within the procedures are highlighted for easier learning.
- UPDATED coverage of the Electronic Health Record ensures that you are familiar with the technology you'll use on the job.
- UPDATED content on alternative therapies and treatment includes the latest herbal remedies such as red rice yeast for lowering cholesterol, St. John’s Wort for depression, and probiotic bacteria for GI maladies.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||60 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Medical Assisting Program Consultant
Retired Medical Assisting Program Director
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
Table of Contents
Ch. 1 Becoming a Successful Student
Ch. 2 The Healthcare Industry
Unit One: Introduction to Medical Assisting
Ch. 3 The Medical Assisting Profession
Ch. 4 Professional Behavior in the Workplace
Ch. 5 Interpersonal Skills and Human Behavior
Ch. 6 Medicine and Ethics
Ch. 7 Medicine and Law
Unit Two: Administrative Medical Assisting
Ch. 8 Computer Concepts
Ch. 9 Telephone Techniques
Ch. 10 Scheduling Appointments
Ch. 11 Patient Reception and Processing
Ch. 12 Office Environment and Daily Operations
Ch. 13 Written Communications and Mail Processing
Unit Three: Health Information in the Medical Office
Ch. 14 The Paper Medical Record (formerly Medical Records Management)
Ch. 15 The Electronic Medical Record
Ch. 16 Health Information Management
Ch. 17 Privacy in the Physician's Office
Unit Four: Billing and Coding Procedures
Ch. 18 Basics of Diagnostic Coding
Ch. 19 Basics of Procedural Coding
Ch. 20 Basics of Health Insurance
Ch. 21 The Health Insurance Claim Form
Ch. 22 Professional Fees, Billing, and Collecting
Unit Five: Financial and Practice Management
Ch. 23 Banking Services and Procedures
Ch. 24 Management of Practice Finances
Ch. 25 Medical Practice Management and Human Resources
Ch. 26 Medical Practice Marketing and Customer Service
Unit Six: Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting
Ch. 27 Infection Control
Ch. 28 Patient Assessment
Ch. 29 Patient Education
Ch. 30 Nutrition and Health Promotion
Ch. 31 Vital Signs
Ch. 32 Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit Seven: Assisting with Medications
Ch. 33 Principles of Pharmacology
Ch. 34 Pharmacology Math
Ch. 35 Administering Medications
Unit Eight: Assisting with Medical Specialties
Ch. 36 Emergency Preparedness and Assisting With Medical Emergencies
Ch. 37 Assisting in Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
Ch. 38 Assisting in Dermatology
Ch. 39 Assisting in Gastroenterology
Ch. 40 Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction
Ch. 41 Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Ch. 42 Assisting in Pediatrics
Ch. 43 Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine
Ch. 44 Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health
Ch. 45 Assisting in Endocrinology
Ch. 46 Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine
Ch. 47 Assisting in Cardiology
Ch. 48 Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit Nine Diagnostic Procedures
Ch. 49 Principles of Electrocardiography
Ch. 50 Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging
Ch. 51 Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
Ch. 52 Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
Ch. 53 Assisting in Phlebotomy
Ch. 54 Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
Ch. 55 Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit Ten: Assisting with Surgeries
Ch. 56 Surgical Supplies and Instruments
Ch. 57 Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit Eleven: Career Development
Ch. 58 Career Development and Life Skills