Comprehensive Medical Assisting begins with Kinn! Elsevier’s 60th Anniversary edition of Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 13th Edition provides you with real-world administrative and clinical skills that are essential to working in the modern medical office. An applied learning approach to the MA curriculum is threaded throughout each chapter to help you further develop the tactile and critical thinking skills necessary for working in today’s healthcare setting. Paired with our adaptive solutions, real –world simulations, EHR documentation and HESI remediation and assessment, you will learn the leading skills of modern administrative and clinical medical assisting in the classroom!
• Basics of Diagnostic Coding prepares you to use the ICD-10 coding system.
• Learning objectives listed in the same order as content makes it easy to review material.
• Clinical procedures integrated into the TOC give you a quick reference point.
• Professional behavior boxes provide guidelines on how to interact with patients, families, and coworkers.
• Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the Medical Assistant's job.
• Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in the clinical setting.
• Learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions highlight what’s important in each chapter.
• Critical thinking applications test your understanding of the content.
• Step-by-step procedures explain complex conditions and abstract concepts.
• Rationales for each procedure clarify the need for each step and explains why it’s being performed.
• Portfolio builder helps you demonstrate your mastery of the material to potential employers.
• NEW! Chapter on The Health Record reviews how you’ll be working with a patient’s medical record.
• NEW! Chapter on Technology in the Medical Office introduces you to the role EHR technology plays in the medical office.
• NEW! Chapter on Competency-Based Education helps you understand how your mastery of the material will affect your ability to get a job.
• NEW! Clinical procedure videos helps you visualize and review key procedures.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 11.00(h) x 2.10(d)|
About the Author
Marti Garrels, MSA, MTA (ASCP), CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Consultant, Retired Medical Assisting Program Director, Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Kirkland, Washington
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting 1.The Medical Assistant and Competency-Based Education – NEW! 2.The Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team 3.Professional Behavior in the Workplace 4.Therapeutic Communications 5. Medicine and Law 6. Medicine and Ethics
Unit 2: Ambulatory Care Administration 7. Technology and Written Communication in the Medical Office – NEW! 8. Telephone Techniques 9. Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing 10. Daily Operations in the Ambulatory Care Setting 11. The Health Record – NEW!
Unit 3: Coding and Medical Billing Procedures 12. Basics of Diagnostic Coding 13. Basics of Procedural Coding 14. Basics of Health Insurance 15. Medical Billing and Reimbursement
Unit 4: Medical Office Administrative Functions 16. Patient Accounts, Collections and Practice Management 17. Banking Services and Procedures 18. Supervision and Human Resources Management 19. Medical Practice Marketing and Customer Service
Unit 5: Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting 20. Infection Control 21. Patient Assessment 22. Patient Education 23. Nutrition and Health Promotion 24. Vital Signs 25. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit 6: Assisting with Medications 26. Principles of Pharmacology 27. Pharmacy Math 28. Administering Medications
Unit 7: Assisting with Medical Specialties 29. All-Hazard Preparedness and Assisting with Medical Emergencies 30. Assisting with Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology 31. Assisting in Dermatology 32. Assisting in Gastroenterology 33. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction 34. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology 35. Assisting in Pediatrics 36. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine 37. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health 38. Assisting in Endocrinology 39. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine 40. Assisting in Cardiology 41. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit 8: Diagnostic Procedures 42. Principles of Electrocardiography 43. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging 44. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory 45. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine 46. Assisting in Blood Collection 47. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood 48. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit 9: Assisting with Surgeries 49. Surgical Supplies and Instruments 50. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit 10: Career Development 51. Career Development and Life Skills