Get your training off to a great start—from basic kicks to training and tournaments—this book is a perfect introduction to kung fu for beginners. It's everything you need to get started in kung fu!
Are you eager to learn kung fu, but don't know where to begin? Are you intimidated by the unfamiliar terms or the variety of styles? With Kungfu Basics you'll become an expert in this Chinese martial art in no time!
Whether you are considering taking up this martial art, or you've already started, Kungfu Basics offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to everything you need to know to feel confident and be successful.
You'll learn about:
- The origins of kung fu—philosophy, history and different styles
- What really happens in a kung fu class—invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your first class, and basic training methods
- The essential elements of the style—stances, footwork, kicks, and hand techniques, with tips on common mistakes and how to get the most power out of each move
- Drill and conditioning exercises—exercises to compliment your training
- Effective ways to improve your kung fu technique—traditional teaching advice of Chinese masters
- Resources—help further develop your knowledge and understanding of kung fu
|Series:||Tuttle Martial Arts Basics Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.75(w) x 9.75(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Born in Hong Kong in 1941, Paul Eng began studying Kungfu at age 6 and has been teaching it since 1960. He has studied a range of Kungfu systems, specializing in Seven Star Praying Mantis. He has taught in New York, in Vietnam, while serving in the US Army, and in California, where he currently has a Kungfu school.