Language Development in Early Childhood Education / Edition 4 available in Paperback
Note: This is the bound book only and does not include access to the Enhanced Pearson eText. To order the Enhanced Pearson eText packaged with a bound book, use ISBN 0134300777.
Theory, research, and intentional developmentally appropriate practice combine to provide a solid foundation for understanding language development from birth to Grade 3.
Language Development in Early Childhood Education helps future early childhood educators support children's language development from birth through age 8 or 3rd grade. The text presents a compelling, comprehensive view of key linguistic concepts, language development theory, and research while remaining focused on the development of phonological, semantic, syntactic, morphemic, and pragmatic language skills, children’s understanding of written language, and ways in which this acquisition process can be enhanced in early childhood settings. Interesting vignettes of young children's language development open each chapter, and within each chapter anecdotal narratives illustrate key concepts and interaction strategies. Balanced, multidisciplinary, and comprehensive, the approach to language development is ideal for preservice teachers in undergraduate and graduate early childhood education, as well as for continued professional development among inservice teachers. The text has been updated and expanded throughout, and the new Enhanced Pearson eText features links to video clips; alignment among Learning Outcomes, chapter sections, and pop-up multiple-choice quizzes; and a digital Glossary linking key terms to definitions in the eText.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
The Enhanced Pearson eText provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.*
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.**
- Affordable. Experience the advantages of the Enhanced Pearson eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
**The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.60(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Beverly Otto, PhD, an early childhood educator for over 35 years, is professor emeritus in the Teacher Education Department at Northeastern Illinois University. She earned her doctorate at Northwestern University in teaching and learning processes, with a focus on emergent literacy, linguistics, and educational foundations. Dr. Otto teaches courses in language and literacy development for preservice and inservice teachers along with research for classroom teachers. Her major professional goal is preparing teachers to support children’s lifelong learning through language and literacy development. She also served as department chair as well as associate dean in the College of Education. Dr. Otto is the author of Literacy Development in Early Childhood (Pearson Education, 2008) and has authored articles published in international, national, and state professional journals. Her field-based research on language development and emergent literacy has been presented at international, national, state, and local conferences. She has served as a consultant to early childhood centers, school districts, and the Illinois State Board of Education.
Table of Contents
- Language in Our Lives
- Theoretical Perspectives and Contexts of Language Development
- Language Development Among Children of Linguistic Diversity
- Language Development of Infants and Toddlers
- Enhancing Language Development in Infants and Toddlers
- Language Development in Preschoolers
- Enhancing Language Development in Preschoolers
- Language Development in Kindergartners
- Enhancing the Language Development of Kindergartners
- Language Development in the Primary Years
- Enhancing Language Development in the Primary Years
- Language Assessment: Observing, Screening, Diagnosing, and Documenting
- Enhancing Language Development Among Children with Communicative Disorders
- Fostering Language Development Through School—Home Connections