Language: The Human Ability
1. How do we acquire language?
2. What is linguistics?
3. From one language to the next: Why is it hard to learn a second language? Why is translation so difficult?
4. Does language equal thought?
5. Are sign languages real languages?
6. Do animals have language?
7. Can computers learn language?
Part I I
Language in Society
8. Can one person's speech be better than another's?
9. Why do dialects and creoles differ from standard language?
10. Do men and women speak differently? And who cares?
11. English spelling is hard, and it makes learning to read hard. Should we do anything about it?
12. Should the United States adopt English as our official language and overhaul our educational system accordingly?
13. How does language wield power over us? Can it overpower us?
14. Does exposure to and use of offensive language harm children?
15. What do we lose when a language dies? And who cares?