Stock car racing is not only the most popular sport in the country, but it's also among the most dangerous, as well. Traveling at speeds of over 200 miles per hour, drivers risk their lives every time they take the wheel. To be competitive, drivers must feel invincible. The best of them did, and lived life -- on the racetrack -- to the fullest. Their zest for life and for racing is celebrated in this powerful book.
In The Last Lap, updated edition, best-selling author Peter Golenbock talks to racers past and present, crewmembers, and families of the legendary drivers who have passed on give us behind-the-scenes stories of NASCAR's unique heroes. Among those sharing their stories are racing legends David Pearson, Buddy Baker, Tim Flock, Marvin Panch, thefamilies of the late Curtis Turner, the Myers brothers, Tiny Lund, Bobby Isaac, Alan Kulwicki, and Davey and Clifford Allison.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Edition description:||Second Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.42(w) x 9.54(h) x 1.37(d)|
About the Author
Table of ContentsAcknowledgments.
1. Bob Latford: In the Beginning.
2. Slick Owens: In the Land of Cotton.
3. Tim Flock: The Last of the Wild Bunch.
4. Ralph Moody: Curtis and Lil' Joe.
5. Max Muhlmann: More Curtis and Lil' Joe.
6. Maurice Petty: The Perfectionist.
7. Tim Flock: Carl Kiekhaefer.
8. Danny "Chocolate" Myers: The Death of the Myers Brothers.
9. Tom Pistone: The "Converted Yankee".
10. Ralph Moody: Fred Lorenzen.
11. Paul "Little Bud" Moore: Rough-Tough Characters.
12. Buddy Baker: Buck's Boy.
13. Marvin Panch: Escape from a Fiery Death.
14. Bob Latford: Crash and Burn.
15. Ralph Moody: Death Wholesale.
16. Max Muhlmann: The Death of Fireball Roberts.
17. Bob Latford: Ned and Junior.
18. David Pearson: The Reluctant Champion.
19. Paul "Little Bud" Moore: The Demise of Dirt.
20. Bob Latford: A Small Band of Gypsies.
21. Maurice Petty: Life with Richard.
22. David Pearson: Moments Great and Not So Good.
23. "Suitcase" Jake Elder: One Great Chassis Man.
24. Slick Owens: Holman and Moody's Demise.
25. Buddy Baker: He Broke the 200 MPH Barrier.
26. Tim Flock: Curtis Turner's Losing Gambit.
27. Curtis Turner: The Day the Music Died.
28. Bunny Turner: "Sweet Thang".
29. Lou LaRosa: Brooklyn Meets Robert Gee.
30. Buddy Baker: Troubles on the Last Lap.
31. Wanda Lund: They Were All Crazy.
32. Tommy Johnson: The Travails of Harry Hyde.
33. Buddy Baker: Records at Breakneck Speed.
34. Lou LaRosa: The Emergence of Dale Earnhardt.
35. Tommy Johnson: Harry Hyde and Tim Richmond.
36. Lou LaRosa: Cale and More About Dale.
37. Danny "Chocolate" Myers: Memories of Richard Childress.
38. Tommy Johnson: The Death of Harry Hyde.
39. Paul Andrews: The Death of Alan Kulwicki.
40. "Suitcase" Jake Elder: Disturbing Memories.
41. Liz Allison: The Deaths of Clifford and Davey.
42. Lou LaRosa: A Racer's Sad Good-bye.
43. Buddy Baker: He (and the Sport) Survives and Flourishes.
44. Andy Petree: Bigger than Life.
45. Dale Earnhardt: The Man in Black.
46. Dale Earnhardt: Black Sunday.