Defining both the Common Core Standards and the school librarian's role in their implementation, this book offers ready-to-use lesson plans and other tools for grades K–5 and identifies opportunities for collaborative teaching.
• Defines the Common Core State Standards in English and mathematics
• Draws parallels to American Association of School Librarians (AASL) standards
• Discusses the impact of the CCSS on specific aspects of library administration, such as policies and collection management
• Examines how CCSS affects classroom and collaborative instruction in the library
• Identifies opportunities for the librarian to help in staff development in the CCSS
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Carl A. Harvey II is an instructor of school librarianship at Longwood University in Farmville, VA.
Linda L. Mills is the school librarian at Greensburg Elementary School, Greensburg, IN.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What are the Common Core Standards?
Chapter 2: What are the Connections with School Library Standards?
Chapter 3: How will the Common Core Impact the Administration of a School Library?
Chapter 4: How will the Common Core Impact Instruction In/Out of the School Library?
Chapter 5: Common Core, Professional Development, and Advocacy
Chapter 6: Sample Lesson Plans - Kindergarten
MyPlate / Nutrition
Chapter 7: Sample Lesson Plans1st Grade
Long Ago and Today
Student Book Award (Math)
Mem Fox Author Study
Chapter 8: Sample Lesson Plans2nd Grade
Animals Follow a Student Home
April Pulley Sayre Author Study
Owen and Mzee
Chapter 9: Sample Lesson Plans3rd Grade
Chapter 10: Sample Lesson Plans4th Grade
Force / Motion
Parts of a Book
Chapter 11: Sample Lesson Plans5th Grade
State Economic Project
Appendix A: Children's Literature Bibliography
Appendix B: Blank Budget Justification Sheet
Appendix C: Student/Staff Survey Samples
Appendix D: Common Core Bibliography
Appendix E: Research Journal
Appendix F: Technology Tools