Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Get it by Wednesday, January 24
, Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
Same Day delivery in Manhattan. Details
In partnership with international relief agency CARE, an inspiring look at how women around the world are developing businesses and creating opportunity.
In this ground-breaking business book, management expert Mary Cantando examines the stories of women in the developing world who, with help from the non-profit organization CARE, have capitalized on personal and professional opportunities, contributed to their communities, influenced their physical environment, and overcome discrimination on the road to establishing self-sufficiency and building strong lives and strong businesses Structured around these five principles CARE's mission statement, Leading with Care expertly bridges inspiring stories of human endeavor with straight-up business lessons that all of us can apply to our work and organizations. Featuring interviews with top female executives at American companies who devote their own time and resources to CARE, we see just how much we can learn when it comes to growth, opportunity, and community. Each section ends with a discussion and specific questions that will help you integrate the lessons in your own life.
In an ever-shifting world, CARE's message is timeless. Its practical approach to building businesses and self-sufficiency, in any economy, in any nation, gives us all hope and the power to create our own secure futures.
|Product dimensions:||6.20(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
MARY CANTANDO is the founder and growth expert of WomanBusinessOwner.com, an organization that helps women start and grow businesses. As an envoy of the U.S. State Department, she has traveled to developing countries to speak to women about starting and growing their businesses. She is a chapter chair of the Women Presidents' Organization and a leading member of Women Impacting Public Policy and the Women's Business Enterprise National Council.
Table of Contents
Sheila C. Johnson, Founder and CEO, Salamander
Hospitality; Global Ambassador, CARE
Part One developing self-sufficiency 7
1. Creating Self-Sufficiency Through Training 11
2. Blazing a Path Through Sports 20
3. Overcoming Challenges to Achieve Self-Sufficiency 31
4. Gaining Self-Sufficiency While Helping Others 36
5. Implementing Self-Sufficiency in Your Own Life 41
Part Two capitalizing on opportunity 45
1. Capitalizing on Opportunity in Niger 47
2. Seizing Good Fortune 57
3. Building a Different Kind of Business 66
4. Overcoming Naysayers 71
5. Capitalizing on Opportunity in Your Own Life 75
Part Three building community 81
1. Building Community in India 87
2. Building Community Everywhere 94
3. Joining Forces in the BusinessWorld 103
4. Creating an Advisory Board Community 109
5. Building Community in Your Own Life 112
Part Four protecting the environment through action and policy 117
1. Providing Clean Water in Mozambique 122
2. Protecting the Environment Through Corporate Leadership 129
3. Saving the Environment One Plate at a Time 139
4. Building for the Future 145
5. Safeguarding the Environment in Your Own Life 149
Part Five addressing discrimination 153
1. Overcoming Discrimination Through Literacy 156
2. Addressing Discrimination Through Corporate Leadership 163
3. Learning to Capitalize on the Differences 175
4. Overcoming Bias in the Legal Profession 180
5. Addressing Discrimination in Your Own Life 185
A Final Note from the Author: Leaving a Legacy 189
Learning More About These Women and Organizations 191
Dr. Helene Gayle, President and CEO, CARE
About the Author 205