The book discusses the role of intellectuals in the modern world. Bauman connects this with current analyses of modernity and post-modernity. The theme of the book is that the tasks of intellectuals change from being 'legislators' to 'interpreters' with the transition from modernity to post-modernity.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||655 KB|
About the Author
Table of ContentsIntroduction:.
Intellectuals: From Modern Legislators to Post-modern Interpreters.
1. Paul Radin, or an Aetiology of the Intellectuals.
2. Les philosophes: The Archetype and the Utopia.
3. Sociogenesis of the Power Knowledge Syndrome.
4. Gamekeepers turned Gardeners.
5. Educating People.
6. Discovery of Culture.
7. Ideology, or Building the World of Ideas.
8. The Fall of the Legislator.
9. The Rise of the Interpreter.
10. Two Nations, Mark Two: The Seduced.
11. Two Nations, Mark Two: The Repressed.
12. Conclusions: one too many.