The Light at the End of the Diaper Pail provides a calm voice of reason, comforting advice, and hilarious truths, including
- Your body is not the same. In fact, unless major exercise or surgery is undertaken, it will probably never be the same. Have compassion, accept it, and move on.
- This new-mother status of yours is a get-out-jail-free card: good for canceling family dinner, long-scheduled social engagements, or plans with people who are just too high-maintenance to be maintained right now.
- Whatever his schedule is today will not be his schedule tomorrow. Resist the urge to seek consistency.
- You're right, colic sucks.
- Forgive yourself for not being perfect.
- There are lots of baby things that are overrated. The baby swing is not one of them.
- He loves your singing. Yes, your singing.
- Do not be alarmed that entire conversations revolve around poop.
- Smell his sweet little-baby smell. Drink it in. Come back for seconds.
- Breathe. Repeat.