A tour of more than 70 of the continent's most beautiful and important lighthouses.
Lighthouses of North America is a beautiful tribute to 71 lighthouses in the United States and Canada. The selection covers the full range of lighthouse architectural styles and represents all regions of the continent. The book opens with a brief but fascinating history of lighthouses, which traces their use from the Romans to the "golden age" of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries when lighthouses became a strategic and commercial asset to seafarers.
Readers will discover the fascinating details that give lighthouses their spirit, such as Portland Head Lighthouse, the favorite haunt of poet Henry Wadsworth, providing inspiration for his poem "The Lighthouse"; how early rocket launches damaged the original Cape Canaveral Lighthouse; that a friendly ghost named Rue is said to wander the grounds of Oregon's Heceta Head Lighthouse; and how the Race Rocks Lighthouse in British Columbia guided vessels into port during the Fraser gold rush.
Chapters focus on construction method and present each sentinel over a two- to six-page spread with a narrative description:
- Conical & Cylindrical Construction, such as the Fire Island Light off Long Island and the Three Sisters of Nauset in Massachusetts
- Square Construction, such as the Holland Harbor Light in Michigan and the Presque Isle Light on Lake Erie
- Hexagonal and Octagonal Construction, such as the Alcatraz Island Light in San Francisco Bay and the famous Peggy's Point Light in Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
- Skeletal Construction, such as the Sanibel Island Light on Florida's
Gulf Coast and the Rawley Point Light in Wisconsin.
Striking color photographs show the lighthouse exteriors and interiors, and a facts box details location, tower height, focal plan, daymark, light characteristics, year established and current use.
Thoughtful essays describe the architecture of the essential spiral staircase, lost lighthouses, how the lights work, the light-keepers, haunted lighthouses, the future of lighthouses and the most recognized and unusual of lighthouses, the Statue of Liberty. For the traveler, there is a list of North American Lights and useful resources.
Lighthouse aficionados are many in number and all will enjoy this stunning book.
|Publisher:||Firefly Books, Limited|
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.20(d)|
About the Author
Sylke Jackson is a freelance writer and holds a BA cum laude in Literature from Yale University. Her passion for architectural preservation has led her to work on historic buildings in this country and abroad. Jackson teaches high school English and writing. She also races Lightning sailboats on the Hudson, and always keeps a grateful eye on the lighthouse at Sleepy Hollow, New York.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
A Brief History of Lighthouses
CONICAL AND CYLINDRICAL CONSTRUCTION
- Point Arena Light Fisgard Light Yaquina Head Light Ponce de Leon Light Heceta Head Light Cape Canaveral Light Portland Head Light Castle Hill Light Bodie Island Light Cape Bonavista Light Cape Lookout Light Fire Island Light Cape Neddick Light Pigeon Point Light Ned's Point Light Cape Hatteras Light Cape Ann Light Boston Harbor Light Wind Point Light Owl's Head Light Three Sisters Lights Gay Head Light West Quoddy Head Light Morris Island Light Anacapa Island Light Admiralty Head Light Cape
Disappointment Light St. Augustine Light Grand Haven Light Tarrytown Light Jeffrey's Hook Light Marblehead Light Chicago Harbor Light Kilauea Light Barnegat Light Biloxi Light Portland Breakwater Light
Up the Spiral Staircase Lost Lighthouses
- Point Sur Light West Point Light Presque Isle Light Presque Isle North Pierhead Light Beavertail Light Horton Point Light Holland Harbor Light Brockton Point Light
HEXAGONAL AND OCTAGONAL CONSTRUCTION
- Tybee Island Light Cape Arago Light Alcatraz Island Light Montauk Point Light Peggy's Point
Light Sandy Hook Light Point Cabrillo Light Gibraltar Point Light Cape Henry Light Split Rock Light Bald Head Island Light Point Atkinson Light Point Robinson Light Harbour Town Light Block Island Southeast Light Mukilteo Light
Keepers of the Light Haunted Lighthouses
- Whitefish Point Light Rawley Point Light Marblehead Light Hilton Head Range Rear Light Sanibel Island Light
The Future of Lighthouses The Statue of Liberty
List of North American Lights Resources Index Credits and Acknowledgements