Charles Lincoln Wilson was the founder of Lincoln. His enthusiasm brought the Sacramento Valley Railroad from Folsom as far as the Auburn Ravine. The citizens of Western Placer now had a rail terminal. The new town was given Charles Lincoln Wilson’s middle name. After the goldfields played out, copper deposits were discovered. By April 1863, large pieces of copper were being exhibited from the Gardner Claim. There were large copper mines at the J.D. Saunders ranch and at Whiskey Diggins, later Kilaga Springs. In 1874, clay deposits were also found while mining for coal. Charles Gladding, Peter McBean, and George Chambers, all from Chicago, had read about the superior, widespread clay deposits in Lincoln, and they started the California Clay Manufacturing Company in May 1875. The name soon became Gladding, McBean & Company.
About the Author
Due to the interest of Jerry Logan, Don Logan, and Wes Freeman in preserving the history of Lincoln and the surrounding areas, the Lincoln Area Archives Museum has an extensive collection of photographs and historical writings done by Jerry Logan. The museum has displays of Nisenan Indian artifacts, Gladding, McBean & Company pictures and dishes, and many other items depicting life in the early days.
Table of Contents
1 In the Beginning 9
2 Gold, Coal, and Copper Mining 19
3 Gladding, McBean & Company 27
4 Ranches and Farms 43
5 Businesses and Buildings 61
6 Schools and Churches 97
7 Community Events 115