Providing anesthesiology for liver surgery and especially liver transplantation is highly complex and requires profound expertise in the physiology and pathophysiology of liver disease. This new edition incorporates the latest information in the field and remains the only available book on the topic. It focuses on the practical aspect of liver anesthesiology and critical care, while providing a comprehensive and in depth summary of the knowledge in this field.Most liver transplant centers now have dedicated teams providing anesthesia care during liver transplantations. In the last years there has been a substantial increase in knowledge and improvement in techniques in anesthesiology and critical care of patients undergoing liver surgery and transplant patients.
Liver Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2nd Editionincludes new chapters on chronic liver failure and hepatic cirrhosis, preoperative risk assessment, evidence in liver anesthesiology, the splanchnic and systemic circulation in liver disease and a special focus on analgesia for liver resection including regional techniques. Written for anesthesiologists and critical care physicians caring for patients undergoing liver surgery and transplantation, this book proves to be an essential companion and review book as the number of liver surgeries with higher complexity continue to increase.
|Publisher:||Springer International Publishing|
|Edition description:||Softcover reprint of the original 2nd ed. 2018|
|Product dimensions:||7.01(w) x 10.00(h) x (d)|
About the Author
Gebhard Wagener, MD is Associate Professor of Anesthesiology at Columbia University Medical Center, Director, Vascular Anesthesia Division, Member Division of Critical Care Anesthesia
Table of Contents
Section I: Physiology, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology of Liver Disease
- Physiology and anatomy of the liver
- Chronic liver failure and hepatic cirrhosis
- The splanchnic and systemic circulation in liver disease
- Drug metabolism in liver failure
- Evaluation of liver function and injury
Section II: Anesthesiology for Liver Transplantation.
- History of liver transplantation
- Recipient and donor selection and transplant logistics: the European perspective
- Recipient and donor selection and transplant logistics: the US perspective
- Preoperative risk assessment
- Surgical techniques of liver transplantation
- Intra-operative monitoring
- Anesthetic techniques and practice patterns
- Caval crossclamping, piggy-bag & veno-venous bypass
- 14. Hemodynamic manag
Section III: Anesthesiology for Liver Surgery.
- Types of liver surgery and indications
- Anesthetic management, monitoring, fluids & electrolytes
- Anesthetic aspects of the living donor hepatectomy
- Analgesia for l
Section IV: Critical Care Medicine for Liver transplantation.
- Routine postoperative care
- Acute kidney injury
- Early graft failure
- Sepsis and infection
- Respiratory failure and ARDS Pain management
Section V: Critical care Medicine for Liver surgery.
- The living related liver donor
- Early complications: Liver failure, bile leak and sepsis