Living with Depression: Why Biology and Biography Matter along the Path to Hope and Healing

Living with Depression: Why Biology and Biography Matter along the Path to Hope and Healing

by Deborah Serani

Paperback

$14.67 $17.95 Save 18% Current price is $14.67, Original price is $17.95. You Save 18%.
View All Available Formats & Editions

Temporarily Out of Stock Online

Eligible for FREE SHIPPING

Overview

Living with Depression: Why Biology and Biography Matter along the Path to Hope and Healing by Deborah Serani

One out of four Americans will experience mental illness in their lifetime; major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the United States for ages fifteen through forty-four. However, only a fraction will seek treatment. For those do who recognize their depression, only 25 percent will seek treatment for symptoms. Stigma claims the other 75 percent, wedging depressed individuals into a life of silent suffering. In Living with Depression, Deborah Serani outlines the various forms of depression, describes the different treatments, and outlines methods for living with depression and getting the help you or a loved one needs. Tips on how to choose a good therapist, negotiate the labyrinth of healthcare, and minimize stigma are addressed, as is learning how to use biology and biography as tools of empowerment. Listings of national and global resources make this a ready resource for everything you need to know about depression.

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781442210578
Publisher: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Publication date: 10/16/2012
Pages: 208
Product dimensions: 5.50(w) x 8.30(h) x 0.70(d)

About the Author

Dr. Deborah Serani is a psychologist in private practice in New York. She has appeared as an expert on various media outlets including MSNBC.com, MedScape.com, ABC News, Medscape, All You magazine, Newsday, Baby Talk magazine, Chicago Sun-Times, USAToday.com, Wall Street Journal Health Blog, Washington Post Health Blog, HealthCentral.com, and many more. She has also published articles in academic journals.

Customer Reviews

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See All Customer Reviews