- A unique collection of photographs meticulously presented and chosen with a practised eye for the significant and unusual
- Publication co-incides with the closure of the Skunk Works itself. Following the closure, one SR-71 will be sent to Duxford Airfield, where it will become the only one of its kind outside the US.
- The next titles in the series are already being prepared, including The Dornier Wal Flying Boat and Early Russian Aircraft.
- Includes not only pictures of the aircraft but also portraits and brief biographies of the key designers and pilots.
- Written by the only author with the 'inside track' at Lockheed, whose volume on the SR-71 is probably Osprey's most successful aviation title.
About the Author :
During his time as an air traffic controller at the London Air Traffic Control Centre, Paul Crickmore gained a unique introduction into SR-71 operations from RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk. Teaming up with Osprey produced the first detailed book ever to be published on the subject. When additional information became available to him in 1990 following the initial shut down of SR-71 operations, Crickmore produced an even more detailed book, Lockheed SR-71 The Secret Missions Exposed - the standard reference work on the subject. The work was acclaimed by both the aviation press, Ben Rich (late president of the Skunk Works) and the crews that flew the SR-71. He is also the author of the first detailed book about the '117 written in partnership with his wife Alison; published by Motorbooks International in 1999.