This is really "the big little book of love magic." Magical maven Lilith Dorsey has packed into this fun, informative, and practical book over 250 spells, potions, rituals, and recipes devoted to all facets of love and sex.
Based on years of magical experience and prodigious research, this book includes sections on such topics as self-love, marriage, fertility, erotic adventures, the ethics of love magic, and more. The spells are drawn from a wide diversity of magical traditions and focus on an equally diverse situations. There are spells for finding love, keeping love, and healing yourself so that you are ready for love. The book also includes rituals for invoking goddesses of love. Dorsey considers and discusses all facets of the romantic experience.
Let's face it we are obsessed, inspired, delighted, and in love with love. And here is the go-to book for every spell you will ever need for finding and keeping romance, passion, sex, marriage, fertility, and love in your life. Rooted in serious scholarship while still exploring the weird, wild, and wonderful side of love magic, this book provides expert advice and genuine spells that work to bring you your heart's desire.
|Product dimensions:||5.00(w) x 7.00(h) x (d)|
About the Author
Lilith Dorsey, MA is a magical practitioner/voodoo priestess with training in several traditions, including Celtic, Afro-Caribbean (Santeria and Vodun), and Native American spiritualties. Her traditional education focused on plant science, anthropology, and film. She owns her own magickal consulting business, Branwen's Pantry, and is editor/publisher of Oshun-African Magickal Quarterly. She is also the author of Voodoo and Afro-Caribbean Paganism and The African-American Ritual Cookbook. She has a degree in anthropology from the University of Rhode Island and an MFA from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
Read an Excerpt
Over 250 Spells and Potions for Getting it, Keeping it, and Making it Last
By Lilith Dorsey
Red Wheel/Weiser, LLCCopyright © 2016 Lilith Dorsey
All rights reserved.
HAPPINESS AND SELF-LOVE SPELLS
"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen."
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
We fall in love using our entire selves. We wrap our minds, bodies, and souls around another and smile. Even though some people have a hard time accepting this idea, the key to finding love lies within ourselves. Simply put, we must get right with ourselves to get right next to one another. We must be sure we are all right in order to move forward with grace and joy. No one can erase the past, but we must try to not let it cloud our future.
In this chapter there are spells and rituals for cleansing, divination, healing, and joy. These things are at the foundation of all that we hope to do, not just with love magic, but with life in general. Feel free to add these spells to your normal routine, and once you get comfortable with them, don't be afraid to try something new. Magic often operates on the premise of increase, with a serious dose of thoroughness and knowledge added on top. If you find that you are having difficulty achieving success with one particular spell working, you can always try another, perform divination or cleansing, or seek alternative help.
In the world of spell crafting, placement and proximity are the foundations of the process. This is referred to as sacred geometry, and its importance cannot be stressed enough. Your magic and your insight will improve if you attune yourself to these forces. Make use of the following correspondences in setting up your working altar, your ritual space, your sacred space, your table, and in any other way you think might help. Sacred geometry incorporates the magic of both the Earth and the stars. I have included some basic correspondences to get you started from Wiccan, Native American, and other spiritual paths.
Wiccan Elemental Correspondences
The element of Earth is most often associated with North, which in love magic rules passion and courage.
The element of Air is most often associated with East, which in love workings is associated with logic and intellect.
The element of Fire is most often associated with South, which in love magic can be associated with sex, sensuality, and fecundity.
The element of Water is most often associated with West, which in love magic is attached to depth and deep love.
The element of Spirit is most often associated with the center or whole; use this in your love magic to help bring all your elements together and to connect them to the divine.
Feng Shui Elemental Correspondences
Feng Shui is the ancient art of sacred placement. A central element is the Bagua, which is a tool used to attune the areas of a space to focused energy areas. The elements are categorized as follows:
Fire is represented by South.
Earth is represented by Southwest.
Marsh is represented by West.
Heaven is represented by Northwest.
Water is represented by North.
Mountain is represented by Northeast.
Thunder is represented by East.
Wind is represented by Southeast.
Native American Medicine Wheel Directions
Several Native American tribes utilize a sacred hoop, or medicine wheel, to spiritually represent the four directions. There is some variation between individual groups, but a basic guide follows:
East is represented by the color yellow.
North is represented by the color red.
West is represented by the color black.
South is represented by the color white.
* * *
Everybody Clean Up
Baths and More
Ritual cleaning is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your home. Some traditions have their own special blessings for cleansing and banishing negativity. Many northern Native Americans use sage and cedar as a blessing. Southern Native Americans have been known to use Palo Santo, copal, and other items.
In La Regla Lucumi, more commonly known as Santeria, the herb rosemary is very often used for cleansings, and devotees also use more traditional cleansing items like laundry "blue" for purification and ammonia to attract blessings of the air. Ironically, many of the companies that are in the business now of selling magical floor washes and baths originally began selling regular household cleaning supplies. If at all possible, try to make your own formulas with the listed ingredients for the best results.
Cleansing Bath Spell
This simple bath can be taken whenever you feel the need to remove negativity from yourself. If possible, use fresh herbs, as they will contain the most potent energy for your spell.
½ ounce rosemary
½ ounce basil
¼ cup sea salt
¼ cup Florida water
1 gallon spring water
* Boil rosemary and basil in spring water. Strain and cool. Add the liquid to a bath along with the rest of the ingredients. Sit in the bath for at least 21 minutes while you envision all your difficulties washing away. After you are done, be sure to watch as the water goes down the drain. Dispose of any residual botanicals in the trash.
Bitter Herbs Cleansing Bath
Many elements of the religion La Regla Lucumi are traditional, and others are conditional. Ideally, this bath is taken using all fresh herbs, including the weeds and plants that grow well in your garden or surroundings. Belief states that the Earth will provide you with what you need to stay safe and protected if you just pay attention.
A long time ago at the beginning of my magical career, I remember I found a spell that called for the herb ambrosia to be used in the bath. I searched high and low and did some serious research, only to find out that ambrosia is the common Santeria name for what others call stinkweed. That only goes to show one man's ambrosia is another's stinkweed. To that end, please add whatever additional herbs or flowers you feel drawn to, or are literally surrounded by in your daily life, to this spell bath.
1 handful fresh rosemary
1 handful fresh basil
1 handful fresh sage
1 handful additional herbs from your surroundings
1 large glass jar
1 cup spring water
½ cup holy water
* Remove leaves from the stems of the plants and place in the jar. Heat spring water in a pan to a simmer and then pour over the herbs. Next, add the holy water. Draw an equal-armed cross on the jar in cascarilla. Leave the jar uncovered on your windowsill overnight where the moon's rays will bless it. Strain the herbs from the liquid, reserving both. The herbs are to be buried in the earth, or if you live in a big city like me, they can also be composted; check your local health food store for information on community composting efforts. The blessed water is now ready to be used for your bath. This ritual bath is best taken on the new moon, as the energies at that time will help to pull any negative influences from your life. Pour the liquid from the jar into a warm bath, and concentrate on the negative energy washing cleanly away from you. This is a good bath to perform before any major ritual or spellworking.
Like attracts like. The happier you are, the more likely you are to find and experience more happiness. Use the following bath weekly, monthly, or whenever you just need to feel better.
½ cup Florida water
½ cup rose water
5 drops lavender oil
5 drops carnation oil
* Mix all ingredients together and add to bathwater. Bathe for 10 minutes or longer. Be sure to immerse your hands, feet, and head if possible. Repeat frequently to attract joy into your life, whenever you have had a bad day, or just need a little lift.
This ritual bath is designed to bring clarity and insight into your situation. You can use this bath before performing a major divination, or just when you lack direction in a situation. When time and tide muddy the magical waters, this clarity bath can provide relief for beginners and seasoned veterans alike.
6 drops holy water
6 drops sandalwood oil
6 drops myrrh oil
1 small amethyst crystal
* Combine all ingredients in a warm bath. Immerse yourself in the water on the full moon. Repeat monthly or whenever needed.
* * *
Mindfulness and Meditation Magic
Candles and Oils
"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." There is a homeless man in my neighborhood who wanders around saying this every day. It always brings a smile to my face because it's true. We must know ourselves in order to know and effect change in the world around us.
The importance of being present in one's body cannot be overestimated. This is at the fundamental core of beginning to connect with another. Mindfulness meditation can be a joyful lifelong study and practice. It involves being comfortable feeling the fullness of your entire body. Exploring what you find. Breathing in deeply and remembering to stay fully present in the moment, feeling your breath as it enters your body. Try to remain mindful as you perform the spells in this chapter and throughout the book.
Reality Candle Spell
No, a reality spell isn't one you do while watching reality television. Most of those participants could probably use a healthy dose of reality though. Sometimes in love it is hard to be objective. This candle will help with clarity, direction, and an accurate assessment of love in the specific situation you are facing. Are your partner's feelings genuine? How is this relationship going to proceed? This candle can help you answer those questions.
3 drops sandalwood oil
3 drops frankincense oil
1 white seven-day candle in glass
* Place oils on the candle, light, and meditate on your current situation. Spend time with the candle every evening before extinguishing it. Continue until it has burned completely away. Be sure to record any dreams you have during this time, as they may hold extra insight into your situation.
Healthy Start Candle Spell
This candle will help you remove any physical and emotional blockages to love.
1 white seven-day candle
1 black seven-day candle
12 drops carnation oil
6 drops lavender oil
6 drops bergamot oil
2 pinches dried basil
1 personal item
* To each candle, add 6 drops carnation oil, 3 drops each of lavender and bergamot oil, and a small pinch of dried basil. This spell is best performed on the new moon. To begin this spell, set up your working altar space with a white cloth. Once you have added your herbs and oils to the candles, place them on the cloth and then place your personal item between the two candles on the altar. Light both candles. Sit for a while as you consider your past and focus on your future. Pay careful attention to how the candles burn. The black candle is representative of the negative forces impacting your life and your situation, and the white represents the new energies that are on the way. Burn for 1–3 hours each night until the candles are finished. Recycle the glass if possible with your local municipality or dispose of in the trash.
Here is a great candle spell to do anytime. I have a variation of this candle going in my home almost every day. You can't get too much joy! You can simply add a few drops of oils to a tea light or votive candle, or you can use a larger seven-day candle as described here.
symbol for joy (this could be a veve, rune, or simply the astrological sign for the sun)
1 yellow seven-day pull-out candle
3 drops frangipani oil
3 drops ylang ylang oil
3 drops magnolia oil
3 drops heliotrope oil
* Carve your symbol of joy onto the candle using a quill or ritual knife. Add the oils to the candle, which you have placed in the jar. Light, take a deep breath, and enjoy! Repeat as needed!
Am I Blue Meditation Candle
This candle uses some traditional items from both mindfulness practice and other methods of meditation from around the globe. If there are personal scents you also find useful for calm or peace, please add them to this mixture. This formula can be useful in alleviating depression and everyday stress.
glass candle holder
small amount of spring water
1 blue votive candle
3 drops lotus oil
3 drops basil oil
3 drops rosewood oil
* Place the candle holder on your working altar. Add a small amount of spring water to the bottom. Place the votive candle in the glass and add the oils. At this time, if you wish, you may recite a mudra or other prayer for peace and spiritual calm. If you have been feeling disconnected or frenzied, light this candle for three consecutive nights to help with the situation.
Use whenever you are going to meditate or need calm.
11 drops lavender oil
6 drops lilac oil
6 drops myrrh oil
¼; ounce sweet almond oil
* Combine oils in a glass bottle. Leave overnight with the bottle covered in cotton balls to charge it with energy and then use the oil when necessary.
Ishtar Oil for Divination
Ishtar is a gatekeeper goddess. Her realms are the mysteries of the divine unknown. In many ways she is a love goddess too, making her a perfect choice for tarot or other psychic investigations concerning love. Some people translate the very name Ishtar, or Innana, as "Queen of the Stars." Consequently, ancient depictions of her often feature moons and stars; you can put these symbols on your oil bottle or other ritual tools, or just reproduce them on a piece of parchment paper and wrap it around the bottle or carry in your pocket.
3 drops amber paste
3 drops jasmine oil
3 drops frankincense oil
1 drop cinnamon oil
sweet almond oil (for base)
* Combine all ingredients in a small glass bottle. Rub the bottle between your hands to charge it. If you like, you can recite the following incantation: "Ishtar, Queen of Heaven and Stars, bless and guide me on my journey into the sacred unknown."
Many times when a client comes to me for a reading or love working, sometimes what is in fact the problem is that the person is suffering from a curse or hex. Simply put, this can be negativity from a jealous ex-lover or from the universe. In the end, all that matters is how to get rid of it. (Do not use this formula if pregnant or nursing as rue and sage can be dangerous for you at this time.)
3 drops pine oil
3 drops sage oil
1 drop rue oil
sweet almond oil for base
* Combine all ingredients in a small glass bottle. Leave the bottle on the windowsill for a full day so it can become charged with the energy of both the moon and sun. Use daily or until you begin to feel your situation improve.
Road Opener Oil Spell
Sometimes unnecessary things stand in the way of our true success. Maybe you have a difficult situation at work or at home. Maybe there is a person or thing blocking your way. For best results, craft this oil on the full moon and use often. You can also make this into a useful floor wash by mixing with one gallon of spring water.
1 ounce abre camino oil or cologne
pinch coffee grounds
1 ounce sweet almond oil
3 drops cinnamon oil
* Combine all ingredients in a glass bottle. Shake well to combine. Use liberally before beginning any serious working, or when you are having difficulties.
Here Be Dragons Protection Oil
This formula uses dragon's blood oil and the energy of dragons to help protect you in all you do.
¼ ounce dragon's blood oil
3 drops Dittany of Crete oil
¼ ounce sweet almond oil
* Combine all ingredients in a small glass bottle. Rub between your hands to charge. Wear whenever you feel you need extra protection.
* * *
Heal Thyself, Know Thyself
Healing, Cleansing, and Divination Spells
I recommend divination and healing work to almost everyone who comes to me, regardless of their problem. The spells in this section are to help you on every level to find the perfect path and course of action for you.
Three Roses Healing Spell
This spell combines a rose in solid, liquid, and living form. It will help you heal from old relationships and negative beliefs about love.
1 rose of Jericho
1 cup rose water
1 piece of rose quartz
* Take a large bowl and place the rose of Jericho in the center. Pour rose water over. Place the rose quartz in the center. Leave the bowl in the windowsill, where it will be touched by moonbeams. As the rose of Jericho comes back to life, past wounds of love will begin to heal. Add more water as necessary. After about two weeks, the rose may begin to decline. Bury it in the Earth when you are done.
Excerpted from Love Magic by Lilith Dorsey. Copyright © 2016 Lilith Dorsey. Excerpted by permission of Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of Contents
Chapter One: Happiness and Self-Love Spells,
Chapter Two: Romance Spells,
Chapter Three: Potions for Passions ... and Spells Too,
Chapter Four: Spells for Marriage and Sacred Unions,
Chapter Five: Fertility Spells,
Chapter Six: Universal Love Spells,
Chapter Seven: Spells for Love ... Actually,
Chapter Eight: Love and Sex Rites and Rituals,
Chapter Nine: Materia Magica,
Appendix A: The Psalms,
Appendix B: Recommended Reading,