- Understand the central dietary principles, nutrition, and foods of a macrobiotic lifestyle
- Prepare macrobiotic menus and recipes
- Reduce your cravings for unhealthy foods
- Prevent or relieve numerous ailments with a macrobiotic diet
The definitive guide to incorporating a macrobiotic diet into your daily life
Do you want to make the most of macrobiotics? This practical guide uses a body, mind, and spirit approach to introduce you to the basics of this popular diet. You'll see how to use macrobiotic principles to enhance your health and happiness; prepare the right foods to increase your energy and fight off disease; and make lifestyle changes to support your new way of eating.
- Begin on the path to healthy living understand the science behind macrobiotics and how to apply the principles to your daily life
- Heal the macrobiotic way discover the foods and nutrients that influence good health and heal common diseases
- Plan for successful, non-stressful change create a macro-friendly kitchen, shop smart, and introduce new foods to the family diet
- Make marvelous macrobiotic meals prepare delicious,easy-to-follow recipes from breakfast to dessert and plan your weekly menu
- Take it on the road make healthy restaurant choices
- Round out your macrobiotic lifestyle get tips for exercise, creating a more nourishing environment, and developing a self-healing personality
Open the book and find:
- The basics of macrobiotic nutrition
- How to marshal your body, mind, and spirit to renew your health
- Ten tips for prompt, permanent weight loss
- Practical ways to eliminate cravings for unhealthy food
- More than 50 healthy, tasty recipes
- Time-saving cooking techniques
- Tips on managing your blood sugar with macrobiotic foods
- The right tools and equipment to stock a healthy kitchen
- A sample macrobiotic menu
About the Author
Verne Varona is one of the most energetic and dynamic health educators in the country. A nationally sought-after speaker, Varona has authored articles for natural publications such as Natural Health, Alternative Healing, Macrobiotics Today, and Healthy Body & Fitness, and is also the author of the bestselling Nature's Cancer-Fighting Foods.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with Macrobiotics.
Chapter 1: Choosing the Macrobiotic Path to Healthy Living.
Chapter 2: Applying Macrobiotic Principles to Your Daily Life.
Chapter 3: Applying Macrobiotic Food Principles to Your Daily Diet.
Chapter 4: Macro Boot Camp: Basic Training.
Chapter 5: Macro Boot Camp: Nutrition in a Nutshell.
Chapter 6: Whole Food Templates: Customizing Your Food Plan.
Part II: Healing the Macrobiotic Way.
Chapter 7: Laying the Groundwork for Macrobiotic Healing.
Chapter 8: Macrobiotic Healing from the Inside Out.
Chapter 9: Healing Common Diseases and Conditions Macrobiotically.
Chapter 10: The Ultimate Recipe for Self-Healing.
Part III: Planning and Preparing Your Macrobiotic Adventure.
Chapter 11: Transforming Your Current Lifestyle into a Macrobiotic One.
Chapter 12: Setting up and Stocking Your Macro-Friendly Kitchen.
Chapter 13: Cooking Tips for Macrobiotic Newbies.
Part IV: Morning to Evening Recipes: Your Dietary Path to Wellness.
Chapter 14: Best Breakfasts and Lip-Smacking Lunches.
Chapter 15: Appealing Appetizers to Divine Dinner Recipes.
Chapter 16: Delectable Desserts and Beverages.
Chapter 17: Making Healthy Restaurant Choices.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 18: Ten Sure-Fire Ways to Handle Your Sweet Tooth.
Chapter 19: Ten Tips for Prompt and Permanent Weight Loss.
Part VI: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Sample Menu for One Week.
Appendix B: Macrobiotic Pioneers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This is an easy way to get started in the ways of macrobiotic diets. It can be very daunting changing your entire diet, trying to remember what foods are good, which are bad, how to prepare them, etc but this provides an easy way to get the basics down and get started on the diet.
Dummies can now be smart when it comes to health and happiness thanks to Macrobiotics for Dummies by Verne Varona. This book is well organized and easy enough to follow for anyone with the passion, enthusiasm and time to learn, the easy steps to an optimal healthy life. Once the full story of Verne's nearly 40 years experience with macrobiotics is understood along with the thousands of years of knowledge that his teachers have given to him, this book could easily become a health bible for many. Understanding the "WHY" of health and the "HOW TO" of healthy eating are important for the complete and total transformation from being sick with suffering and pain and medications to understanding life, our true purpose and maximizing health. Having practiced macrobiotics for over 30 years, I found Verne's noble intention comes alive in Macrobiotics for Dummies. This is an easy-to-understand multicultural perspective that's straightforward about dietary principles and nutrition without the dogma and sentimental attachments. Verne has demystified macrobiotics, updated it for modern times, and set the record straight for beginners, as well as long-term practitioners. In reading this book, you will come to realize and comprehend the natural way to health and happiness just might be right "under your nose"! Macrobiotics for Dummies is the book for anyone looking to transform their consciousness and quality of life! David Snieckus 99 Crescent Street Newton, MA 02466 617-964-2951 www.davidsnieckus.com
I've been a vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) for almost five years now, but I've always been interested in the macrobiotic (or whole food) diet. This book offers a great introduction to not only the diet, but the macrobiotic lifestyle. On top of that, there are some great looking recipes in the back of the book that I'm excited to try out. I don't think I'm ready to convert quite yet, but all in all, a very interesting read.
One of North America's top macrobiotic health counselors and writers has created a user-friendly introduction to the macrobiotic diet and lifestyle. Verne Varona is informed, concise, occasionally humorous, and full of insight about the road to a healthier lifestyle. I recommend this book without hesitation.