The author draws from 20 years of hands-on experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting microcomputers. In this book, he outlines a simple 10-step program - complete with screen shots - you can follow to:
· Scan and remove viruses from your hard drive.
· Use disk cleanup to remove unwanted files from your hard drive.
· Clean out temporary Internet files and offline files in Internet Explorer for faster Internet startup.
· Use spyware software to find and remove spyware programs.
· Use disk defragmenter to reorganize your file structure on the hard drive.
· Update Windows XP with the latest security updates from Microsoft.
· Check Windows XP startup list for unnecessary startup programs.
· Remove unnecessary desktop icons you haven't used recently.
· Activate Windows XP firewall to keep computer hackers from accessing your computer.
· Turn system restore back on to recover from computer problems.