- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Designed for use in the clinical setting, Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing Care covers everything that nurses need to know about commonly encountered medical-surgical conditions to more effectively manage patients and improve outcomes. It describes treatment in terms of specific timeframes and desired outcomes, making it easier to set realistic goals and evaluate patient care. A consistent, reader-friendly format makes information easy to find and easy to use. Written by a wide range of clinical experts, this is an essential resource for planning patient care and preparing care plans!
• A consistent, easy-to-use format makes this book ideal for quick reference.
• Experienced clinical experts from various practice settings provide the most current and accurate information.
• Highlighted notes and cautions throughout the manual stress key points related to various disorders and conditions.
• Outcome criteria are included with specific timeframes to help establish realistic treatment goals and evaluate patient care.
• A variety of resources for further information are included, such as phone numbers and websites.
• General information relevant to many disorders is highlighted in Chapter 1.
• Tables and boxes summarize information and enhance the manual's clinical usefulness.
• Convenient Overview/Pathophysiology headings introduce each disorder.
• A special patient teaching icon identifies the patient education and discharge planning information for each disorder.
• The latest infection prevention and control guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are included.
• The latest NANDA Taxonomy II nursing diagnoses are provided for each disorder.
• Updated information includes the latest on:
• JNC-7 hypertension guidelines
• Breast cancer screening and treatment
• JCAHO guidelines
• Cholesterol parameters
• Drug therapy
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Series:||Manual of Medical Surgical Nursing Care Series|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||5.30(w) x 8.60(h) x 1.30(d)|
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: General Concepts in Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
Psychosocial Support for the Patient’s Family and Significant Others
Older Adult Care
Palliative and End-Of-Life Care
Chapter 2: Respiratory Disorders
Acute Respiratory Disorders
Acute Respiratory Failure
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Restrictive Pulmonary Disorder
Chapter 3: Cardiovascular Disorders
Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
Inflammatory Heart Disorders
Valvular Heart Disorders
Cardiovascular Conditions Secondary to Other Disease Processes
Disorders of the Peripheral Vascular System
Chapter 4: Renal-Urinary Disorders
Care of the Renal Transplant Recipient
Disorders of the Urinary Tract
Urinary Disorders Secondary to Other Disease Processes
Chapter 5: Neurologic Disorders
Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System
Degenerative Disorders of the Nervous System
Traumatic Disorders of the Nervous System
Vascular Disorders of the Nervous System
Seizures and Epilepsy
General Care of Patients With Neurologic Disorders
Chapter 6: Endocrine Disorders
Disorders of the Thyroid Gland
Disorders of the Parathyroid Glands
Disorders of the Adrenal Glands
Disorders of the Pituitary Gland
Chapter 7: Gastrointestinal Disorders
Disorders of the Mouth and Esophagus
Disorders of the Stomach and Intestines
Intestinal Inflammatory Processes
Hepatic and Biliary Disorders
Chapter 8: Hematologic Disorders
Disorders of the Red Blood Cells
Disorders of Coagulation
Chapter 9: Musculoskeletal Disorders
Muscular and Connective Tissue Disorders
Musculoskeletal Surgical Procedures
Chapter 10: Reproductive Disorders
Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
Chapter 11: Providing Care for Patients With Special Needs
Caring For Individuals With Human Immunodeficiency Virus Disease
Providing Nutritional Support
Managing Wound Care
One: Infection Prevention and Control
Two: Laboratory Tests Discussed in this Manual: Normal Values
Three: Heart and Breath Sounds